Thursday 19 May 2011

Booking Through Thursday: Age-Inappropriate (?)


http://btt2.wordpress.com/2011/05/19/age-inappropriate/

In contrast to last week’s question–What do you think of censoring books BECAUSE of their intended age? Say, books too “old” for your kids to read?

Since I didn't have kids of my own, my answer will be hypothetical. In general, I guess I believe more in recommendations than in censorship. If something is forbidden, and grown-ups fail to properly explain why, kids usually find a way anyway. These days my guess would be that what they pick up from TV and the internet probably cause more problems than book-reading, generally speaking.

If I did find my hypothetical kid in possession of a book I thought really inappropriate for him/her, I guess I'd ask where they got it from, and if they already read it or not; and try to take a discussion from there. (Sounds easy in theory, doesn't it?!)

5 comments:

  1. I don't think it's necessary. I believe kids self-censor.

    I'm 66, and my parents never censored my reading. I carried on the tradition, and never censored my daughters' reading. Now that they're mothers, they don't either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good answer.

    here's mine:

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/05/booking-through-thursday_19.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. good answer, i think parents should censor their kids books/tv/computer and rooms

    ReplyDelete
  4. My parents never censored anything I read and I am certain that if they had I would have read it anyway.
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/05/booking-through-thursday-18.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. My parents only censored one book, Lady Chatterley's Lover and I read it anyway and found it very boring, never finished it.
    I didn't censor my daughter's reading at all.
    One problem with not censoring, i read a number of books I was just too young to understand or appreciate. Should probably go back and reread some of them.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...