Thursday 8 December 2011

Mystery or Love Story

The BTT question as usual comes from Deb at Booing Through Thursday.

All things being equal, which would you prefer–a mystery? Or a love story?

Now here we are with the “all things being equal” again…
As I’ve said before, in my opinion, “all things” are never equal; and my reading and my experience of it does vary with my mood and circumstances.

And what is meant by “mystery” versus “love story” anyway? (You might notice that I’m in a sort of contrary mood today. I am!)

How many mysteries are there that do not include a love story? And how many love stories that do not have a hint of mystery?

Actually I’d say many of the best stories include a bit of both.

What I’m growing rather tired of is the kind of mysteries too full of bloody violence (using the b-word in its literal sense). What I’d like to see more of is authors who know how to pinpoint the more ordinary mysteries of human behaviour – even when it does not go as far as murder.

I might be reading such a book just now, but I won’t know until I’ve finished it. I might return with a review when I have. There are certainly mysteries involved, and love stories hinted at as well, but it is not yet obvious how it all fits together. Remains to be seen whether the enchantment will last through the whole book or not. For now I won’t even give you the title because I really don’t want to know more about it until afterwards!

9 comments:

  1. I love having mystery and romance together! If you're finding standard mysteries too bloody - why not try cozy mysteries? They have the same whodunnit vibe but without the gore.

    My BTT post is here if you'd like a look :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having both is good. But if I had to choose....

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your answer and agree 100 percent with it. I do like a bit of both and do not like descriptions of violence and sex scenes. i find many of the NEW murder mysteries involve way to much detailed descriptions

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree...a mixture of both, with a lot less gore and violence...maybe cozy mysteries will be my new genre for the New Year.

    But don't hold your breath, because I, too, read according to moods.

    Here's MY THURSDAY THEMES POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's such a true answer... Unless you're talking about some Harlequin Presents romances, majority of the romances do have some sort of mystery involved!

    But actually, I prefer mainly love story, even if there isn't any mystery inside I'll love it as much! I mean, sometimes, the mystery takes away the magic of the romance.

    Here's mine btw:) http://alwaysabooklover.blogspot.com/2011/12/booking-through-thursday-mystery-or.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. A good answer.

    here's mine:

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/12/booking-through-thursday_08.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Tiger's Wife by Tea Orbreht!!! Look it up and read the reviews. Highly praised and won awards, and I think it is JUST the kind of thing you like!!! I just got it and it looks wonderful!!!! A mystery love story with history and magical things happening. The writing is supposed to be beautiful and stunning and poetic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very true; most mystery/crime stories do involve some sort of love story and therefore can compel a reader to find out what happens to both the mystery and the "love story".

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...