Monday 22 December 2014

Frosty

XZ3

Outdoors it’s raining. Meanwhile, indoors – as in inside my new built-in freezer – it’s getting very frosty…

This started after they mounted the wooden cupboard “front” on the freezer door last Monday. I didn’t realize immediately, but towards the end of the week I became aware that unnaturally thick layers of frost had been building up very quickly in the top compartment over the last few days.  Actually it was more like it had been “snowing” in there!

… And it keeps on snowing (in there) …

So over the weekend I’ve had to start every morning by emptying the top compartment in the freezer to scrape/brush/shovel off new snow and ice. (I reorganized, and now keep only bread up there as that’s the easiest to remove.) More often than not I end up having to remove the box below as well though (because when I do my brushing “upstairs” some of it falls through to below).

Today (Monday morning) I called my housing company’s office to report it. The lady whose job it is to listen to complaints all day said she’d pass it on to the area administrator.

Since today is the Day before the Day before Christmas Eve, I have had my doubts about getting any help until next week. (Actually I won’t be too surprised if I’ll have to live with the situation until Next Year. Desperate and upset, maybe. But not surprised.) – Apologies to Santa & helpers. Two guys turned up at 5 p.m. the same day and adjusted the freezer door + even put a handle on it. Remains to be seen if that actually fixed the frosty problem; but at least they made an effort!

Good thing, I guess, that I was planning on  a “quiet” Christmas this year – not involving a lot of cooking. (Not too crazy on traditional Christmas food myself.)

As extra precaution, I decided not to include any new frozen items on my shopping list for tomorrow (leaving some room in the freezer for all the ice…)

CIMG2660x

By the way – I think I might have forgotten to mention here, that as of last month my Supermarket introduced something that’s been on my wish-list for years: online ordering with home delivery service.

(Extra thanks to Santa or the Christmas Fairy or Whoever, for making this happen before Christmas…)

CIMG2731

I’ve given the system a couple of test runs. It seems to work well (if I just remember to tick vs. untick all boxes correctly – like whether I accept replacement for a certain item or not). And it literally means a huge weight off my shoulders. So I’ll continue to make use of it – probably not every week, but when I feel it would be helpful. Anyway, since the day before Christmas Eve is always extra crazy in the shops, I decided already before the weekend to make sure to book another delivery for tomorrow afternoon... Once booked, one can keep making changes on the list until 11 pm the night before the delivery day.

11 comments:

  1. I have seen those stores that offer online ordering and delivery. Good that it's working out for you.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great that they sent someone out to fix the freezer, even if it doesn't work you got a handle.
    I envy you have online grocery shopping, I wish I had something like that, I hate grocery shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For those who already read the original post, I just added an apology to Santa & helpers. Two guys actually turned up at 5 p.m. and adjusted the freezer door + even put a handle on it. Remains to be seen if that actually fixed the frosty problem; but at least they made an effort!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, grocery deliveries!!! I am so glad for you! I do not like you having to go out in bad weather! Do you have to tip or anything? Still, it would be worth it. I have not seen any such thing here. Seems we only get drug deliveries. I love your snowman. Your pictures show us clearly the frost problem. Your building must have excellent service! Let's hope that this does the trick, but you are wise in not buying more frozen food until you know. Last night we watched two shows about the European Christmas Markets, and I thought of you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a delivery fee of course (which is the same whether you order little or much). They have a wireless card-machine and you pay by card.

      Delete
  5. How cool is that! I wish Aldi would to that, too; I don't mind the short walk to the shop and back, but I don't like dragging heavy bags home. I have never been good at "heavy". Usually, though, I don't need that many things, being on my own (and not really cooking) most of the time, but when RJ comes here for weekends, I like to have the fridge well stocked for him. Sometimes I take advantage of him owning a car and we go shopping together.
    That truly was a wish come true for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely no good at heavy either, Meike - which has made grocery shopping an almost daily task and constant worry in later years. This new delivery service makes it feel like Christmas Eve every time I use it! :)

      Delete
  6. On-line grocery ordering and delivery to the door is very common in the UK and a boon in rural areas. A lot of older people as well find it very handy. As far as other on-line services are concerned apparently 9 out of 10 people in rural areas of the UK use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On-line shopping for other kinds of stuff is common here too. One has to be careful to check out the delivery terms though, or one might still end up having to pick up the parcels oneself - sometimes at some small out-of-the-way so-called convenience store that one never heard of before (convenient only to those who happen to live next to it...)

      Delete
  7. Online supermarket shopping is offered here too, but I like to shop and so I love going to the supermarket ...except when it's crowded.
    I love holding the fruit and smelling it for ripeness and talking to the store clerks and checking for great bargains, and being able to read the ingredients on the packaging, but I guess as I get much older I may come to appreciate a service like this....lol.
    Martine, I think it's because of the wooden "front" door attachment that your fridge may be frosting up like that...a minor adjustment should do the trick....hope it gets fixed soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did fix in the late afternoon of the same day I called, Virginia. It's been working as it should over Christmas.

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...