Sunday 17 May 2015

Spring Market

CIMG4251

Friday-Saturday this past week was Spring Market in my town. Twice a year (once in spring, and once in autumn) the whole city centre of BorĂ¥s is turned into a huge market place, with market stalls filling not only the main square but also several of the surrounding streets.

CIMG4246

CIMG4248

I’m not sure how old this tradition is – for all I know, it may well go back to the 1600s. The town was founded around 1620 as a trading site; and the whole area has a tradition of peddlers going around selling their stuff.

CIMG9490

We even have a statue in honour of The Peddler (Knallen) standing in one of the shopping streets. (Photo from my archives.)

CIMG4255

Many of the same tradesmen (and –women) come back year after year, and often book their places early; so that they can be found by customers in pretty much the same spot as last year. This comes in very handy if, like me, you are not really all that fond of crowds, but still have a few favourite stalls that you like to check on.

CIMG4250

One stall that I nearly always visit at these markets is one selling cheap postcards: 10 cards for 10 kronor (SEK) ($1.22, £0.77, €1.07). (And of course since I joined postcrossing this is even more interesting to me!)

CIMG4271-001

I’m not usually tempted by general bric-a-brac.
But my camera is.

CIMG4272

Same thing with balloons.

CIMG4252

Can anyone tell me the name or context of the yellow fellow at the front?? I seem to come across him everywhere these days, but we’ve never been formally introduced…

CIMG4253

In the past I found it hard to resist buying some market sweets, but these days I pass on those.

CIMG4256

Handbags… Now there’s something I might be tempted to buy, even when not really looking for one… I did resist buying any at the market [feeling proud], but that’s partly because I just recently bought these two…

CIMG4273

Linking to:

Shadow Shot Sunday 2

16 comments:

  1. The pedlar shot is great. Is the blow up man Bob the Builder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From American friends in-the-know I learn that he is a a "Minion from the Despicable movies", Adrian. I have not yet got as far as further investigation into what that means...

      Delete
  2. Yes! The yellow guy is called a Minion, and the minions are from the popular kid's movies "Despicable Me" I have seen them with the kids. They are animated movies, but good and funny and I enjoyed the first one.. Anyway, the minions are there as little helpers who are kind of clueless and do funny things. Kind of like the Munchkins in The Wizard If Oz. I LOVE this, and everything tempts me! The purses, food, bric a brac, balloons. I would buy the balloons for the grandkids, all else for me. I love the black and white purse you bought. Your stall photos are just wonderful!!! There is everything! We have nothing like this. Every Saturday there are Farmers' Markets with food, local produce, homemade breads and soaps and such. But that is the only kind of thing. I love the Peddler statue! Now, once the market comes, how long do they stay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny. I guess having kids or grandkids helps keeping up with these things! :) The spring and autumn markets are there for two days each time (Friday+Saturday).

      Delete
  3. what ever his name is he is on a ton of commercials here, but i don't watch them. Chatty Crone knows, she sent me a video of him last week. i don't remember who he is. i don't like animated movies. and he is animated. i love all the brilliant colors of the stalls. and i am with you, the only thing i would go home with would be photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the name of the yellow guy from Ginny, Sandra, so now I can look him up. I did not go home quite empty handed from the market. Besides a bunch of postcards I also bought some socks. :)

      Delete
  4. Wow! Nice to be there. I would be tempted to buy of I was there:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly a lot of temptations on offer, Joy.

      Delete
  5. He's a Minion from the Despicable movies. They get their own movie this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to investigate further, Janet. Not that I was ever all that fascinated by cartoon/animated movies. But having no clue is just such a giveaway that one is no longer keeping up with the younger generation!

      Delete
  6. I love your town and I would have enjoyed myself at this Spring Market.
    Here I was feeling very proud of you for by-passing the bags, and then you dropped the bomb on me...you had already bought two new bags before.....good girl/bad girl??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Virginia. I do my best, but sometimes I relapse... All my life I have been on the lookout for The Perfect Bag - tiny on the outside and huge inside, weighing nothing in itself and also magically taking the weight off everything put into it... And bags are a lot like shoes in that you never quite know until you've walked at least a mile in/with them... The b/w one is a good size if I want to bring a few things to sit outside on a warm day. The pink one has lots of pockets + the colour makes a good match or contrast to certain items in my wardrobe...

      Delete
  7. I can deal well with crowds when I am in the mood, i.e. when I am prepared, which is of course what I would be if I went to the street market. It looks like a good place to spend a morning or afternoon at, browsing, looking, maybe buying a handbag or two (I am sure I would have had a good look at that stall, as I still "need" a white handbag for summer), getting some sweets (definitely!)...
    Love the pink handbag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you that one has to be in the right mood for a street market, Meike! Sometimes I've gone into town on regular errands, forgetting that it's market day or some other big event going on, and then it's a nightmare! ... I'm glad someone besides myself likes the pink handbag :) I probably would not have bought it at full price but it was on sale, and sometimes it's fun to have something really colourful as a change from the neutral blacks and whites and beige that go with almost anything.

      Delete
  8. I, too, can cope with crowds if I'm in the mood and expecting them. Not at railway stations though! I've learned something. Minions! Like you I see them everywhere but have never given a moment's thought as to what they were/are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Market area looks very busy with lots of people and different varieties of shops...

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...