Sunday 29 May 2016

Surrealistic Textiles

Two Saturdays in a row I’ve been going for quite long walks, both with the Textile Fashion Center as my goal (or turning point!). This building is situated on the other side of the city centre from where I live. Besides the Textile Museum it also includes the Textile College, some of the town’s public sculptures and murals, and a café and a restaurant. 

CIMG8409 

As I like the place, and have an annual pass to the museum, I often find it a good destination when I don’t know where to go. There’s also more than one way one can choose to walk (or take the bus) to get there and back again.

Just now there is an exhibition in the museum showing textile prints by famous artists from the 1950’s (and clothes made from those fabrics). The most famous probably Pablo Picasso, Salvador Dalí and Andy Warhol. I have to confess I did not know before that they also made textile patterns.

2016-05-21 Artist Textiles collage

 

CIMG8587

CIMG8587-001

Salvador Dalí – Flower Ballet
(I liked this dress – it even looks comfortable!)

CIMG8394

Pablo Picasso

CIMG8590

CIMG8594

CIMG8400

CIMG8592

Saul Steinberg – Arab Town

CIMG8596

Andy Warhol – Happy Butterfly Day

 

There was also a big screen with a couple of short films running, one showed Picasso at work, and the other Destino by Salvador Dali & Walt Disney. (Just checked YouTube and found them both there, so including the links here. I found them both rather mesmerizing to watch, even though not really my most favourite kind of art.)

Sharing with: Shadow Shot Sunday

14 comments:

  1. wow!!! i had no idea they made their art into textiles. i am not a fan of any of them for their art but i have to say their art is fantastic in textiles. i like them all. i think my favorite is the butterfly skirts and next is arab town. if i were buying for me it would be the black and white and the Arab town.. the more i look the more i like them ALL

    and i love the big room in photo one.... would love to stand in it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra I did not know either of them to have worked so much with textile art and fashion either.

      Delete
  2. I had no idea they made textile designs too. Really like the Dali and Picasso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having the opportunity, I find this an exhibition worth going to back to look at more than once, Janet.

      Delete
  3. You live in a great city where you can take walks with such interesting destinations. Some of the fabric designs and dresses are attractive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Terra. Borås has developed a lot lately in the area of getting some interesting art and exhibitions coming to us instead of us having to go elsewhere to look for it! :)

      Delete
  4. I had no idea they designed fabrics! So you have taught me something today! I agree about the first dress,Flower Ballet. It is so restrained for Dali; nothing like his paintings that I know. But it's a wonderful dress. Picasso, also, is very restrained. I guess they were letting the art media dictate to their designs, so are not going over the top like their paintings. May favorite is the red dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, I like the red dress too, but I don't have the figure for it!

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful exhibit-a bit jealous that I am not near something like this that I can visit. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Paula, I can only agree: Lucky me! :)

      Delete
  6. 1950s designs, be it fashion, furniture or other things, is something I like very much! Those dresses are great; I wouldn't mind owning the red one (in the Picasso picture), or the two in the "Flower Ballet" picture :-) The butterfly pattern is wonderful, too.
    Every time you post about the textile museum I find it is such a great place to go. Good idea to have an annual pass, so you can go there whenever you like - I am sure there is always something interesting to see, and it does indeed make a great destination for walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, all of these dresses would probably look fabulous on you :)

      Delete
  7. Well it took me a while to get around to reading this post but I was glad that I devoted the time to it. Some of the prints are delightful. I didn't know, either, that those mentioned had been fabric designers too. Being a lover of Salvador Dali's work I also watched the film. It was unusual and quite compelling. I shall watch it again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you liked it, Graham. For myself I think this is an exhibition I'll be going back to again while it's here and I have the chance.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...