Friday 16 September 2016

Flower Fairies from Around the World

160323 BE-434112 
A Flower Fairy of the Spring (1923)
Sent from Belgium, March 2016

TW-1685822
The Rose Hip Fairy
(Flower Fairies of the Autumn, 1926)
Sent from Taiwan, April 2015

Flower Fairies of the Wayside
Agrimony Fairies
(Flower Fairies of the Wayside, 1948)

Sent from Canada, August 2015

JP-580599
Wallflower
Sent from Japan, September 2014

140409-1 UK John
~This one printed on wood!~
Sent from England, April 2014

Cicely Mary Barker (1895 – 1973) was an English illustrator best known for a series of fantasy illustrations depicting fairies and flowers. Her first book, Flower Fairies of the Spring, was published in 1923. Similar books were published in the following decades. And postcards of her illustrations are now very popular in Postcrossing – all over the world!

Linking to:
Postcards for the Weekend – Flowers

13 comments:

  1. I love the flower fairy cards. I've sent quite a few myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are really enchanting! Reminds me of the fairy gardens, which I will be posting shortly. I like the last one the best! Sent from England. It impresses me that so many countries send these fairies from Cicely Barker. She must be internationally famous. I have never seen or heard of these, not even when I was looking on amazon for postcards. Is this your entire collection? It would be great to make a collage of them and hang it up somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, I have a few more I think. I'm still in a bit of a conundrum about how best to organize my postcard collection...

      Delete
    2. You'll have a few more filed under 'me' if you file by person!

      Delete
    3. Yes John - probably a fair(!) number of them by now! Which is one reason I'm beginning to question my system of (so far) storing cards from Friends separate (and so far sorted by date rather than topic)...

      Delete
  3. we call our butterflies flying flowers and I love how she has used butterfly wings on her fairies... they are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got some items with flower fairies in the past, even a tea towel (showing the snowdrop fairy). I love these designs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eva, I can imagine that too many of them fluttering around in one's home all at once could easily get a bit overwhelming... With postcards one has a "fair(y) chance" of staying in control, though! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flower fairies!! I almost forgot that I have cards like this, too. The Strawberry Fairy and the Cowslip Fairy. Thanks for reminding me about them with this post. I love adult coloring books and I hope a publisher would come up with a coloring book version of the flower fairies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, I can imagine some copyright problems there, perhaps! :)
      There are colouring books in the postcard format, though - have you seen those? I tried it but alas I have trouble grasping small objects like a pen for long (pain problems neck to hand) so it does not work for me these days (=the very opposite of relaxing!)

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...