Thursday 18 January 2018

Duolingo Progress Report

A new year has begun, and it’s been about three months since my last report

180118 Duo-001
18.01.2018

I seem to have gone up one Duolingo level in each language, I think (+ added Norwegian). : )

Spanish: Finished all four seasons of the Spanish Netflix TV series Velvet (with Swedish subtitles) before Christmas.

Dutch: Reading Het Achterhuis (Anne Frank’s Diary) in Dutch on my Kindle… (I also have my old Swedish copy to compare with.)

Turkish: I’ve almost finished watching the 2nd season (another 100 30-min episodes) of the Turkish drama series Paramparça (on Swedish television, with Swedish subtitles). And I  quite unintentionally managed to detect a few Turkish words spoken by neighbours in my building… (of whom I did not know where they were from, but now I suspect…)

Welsh: Still frightfully difficult! (They even seem to spell some words differently depending on what word comes before…)

(German & French: Freshening up old knowledge a bit, now and then. - And watched a French film at New Year.) 

Danish: 4th season of Swedish/Danish series Bron/Broen running on Swedish Television now…

Russian: Slow progress… still struggling with the alphabet…

Norwegian: Is kind of like a dialect of Swedish (or the other way round! not to upset anyone…) The main difficulty is to keep apart Norwegian and Danish and not mix all three languages up in some home-made Scandinavian blend…


9 comments:

  1. You've made great progress. I kept up with my Spanish until we went to Spain this fall, but I've been lazy since then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, I have you to thank for introducing me to the app, I think :)

      Delete
  2. You are fabulous. I will never know how you can work so diligently on something so difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've kind of become addicted, Louise! In a good way, though...

      Delete
  3. When I grow up, I want to be like you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that compliment, Meike :)

      Delete
    2. That, Meike, is one of the best comments i've read for a long time. And I could so agree with your sentiment. I'd be happy if, after all these years, I could speak more than reasonable tourist French (I've lost almost all the German I had). Mind you my English is pretty good.

      Delete
  4. Impressed does not begin to express my admiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, there is a saying "live and learn" but I feel it's also true the other way round - "learn and live"... (Doesn't have to be language, it can probably be just about anything that serves to keep up our interest in life.)

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...