Pages

▼

Thursday, 1 October 2026

Entering October


A sunny autumn day yesterday (30 September), and I took advantage of it for a walk into town and back for an errand. As always, trying to "combine business with pleasure" - or the other way round! (My "business" this time was to get a couple of things from the pharmacy before the prescription expired.)

 
 On the way back I passed by an even older cemetery (closer to the city centre) than the one I usually walk in. I only passed it on the outside of the wall, but spotted this 'tricolor' tree whose bottom branches were still green, while the top of it was all red.

Another view of treetops from the same cemetery.

And a young Rowan tree about half way on my way home.
With red leaves as well as red berries!

 


Home is a less peaceful place than usual these days, at least on weekdays, as the project of turning the old football field nearby into a park is now fully under way... 


These two photos were snapped one afternoon last week when I happened to be passing while the workers were on a break. Except for a break now and then for coffee or lunch or whatever, they're pretty much "at it" all day now - and very noisily. They've dug up the whole field and are putting new layers of gravel and sand and soil on top. I think most of the noise and vibrations just now are to do with flattening it all out again with heavy machines running back and forth... A tiresome constant background noise throughout the day, which also penetrates closed windows. We're having another fine autumn day today, but just now I can't escape by going for a walk, as I'm waiting for a delivery of groceries...

... Ah, a machine just stopped and it became all quiet... For a blissful minute...

I keep telling myself that it's temporary, though - and even if I'd have preferred the old (and usually empty!) field to be left alone, after all it's better that they turn it into a park than if they had decided to build more apartment blocks... (I suspect the ground there is not the right kind of foundation for building more houses on, though.)

The photo above is from 25 September last year - and was my chosen picture for October in my own photo calendar for 2026. (Just now I'm not sure why, as there's not all that much autumn colours in it!)

...

To end with some good news, the blog list on my side-bar seems (at last!) to be updating properly again, since yesterday. While I've noted here and there that others seem to have got theirs fixed much sooner, I was beginning to fear mine would remain "stuck in the past" forever... But it seems one should never give up hope - even with things like that!! :) 


3 comments:

  1. It is strange how the updating problem came about and how random the correction has happened at different times to different people. I came upon the problem quite late, but think it has now been resolved. Whether AI is playing games, we'll never know. Meanwhile your photos are lovely. It is taking much longer for summer to leave and autumn to appear. The weather is still warm here and the trees still not beginning to look autumnal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Addy, I'm finding it very strange indeed that the updating in that gadget/widget (whatever is the right name for it) wasn't solved for everyone at the same time. But then I've never been a true "tech nerd"...

      Delete
  2. My reading list on blogger has been updating fine again for a while now, although I am not sure when exactly the magic has happened :-D

    It's a beautiful time of year, isn't it! I love the leaves on rowan trees, they are like colourful feathers.

    The "tightening" or "firming" of ground is one of the most noisy and penetrating work to be done on any construction side. The vibrations can often be felt in a large radius, on top of the noise. At least in your case, the workers are there and do their work! Here in town, we have about a dozen different roadworks going on in all parts of town, and so far in the last two weeks I have seen anyone actually working there exactly ONCE.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.