Pages

▼

Wednesday, 7 October 2026

Wednesday Walk

 

Yesterday was laundry day for me, and I did not get out until late afternoon, when I was finished with that - and then just a short walk. The photo above is from some other day, but autumn is in steady progress here now - every day more and more yellow leaves dropping to the ground, and (on weekdays) leaf blowers at work both in the cemetery where I usually walk, and around the estate where I live. And on top of that, the noise from the excavators and other machines at work to transform the old football field to a park... 

Today I again woke up to noises and vibrations of that kind, but also to a day promising a bit of sun. So I decided to try and escape my noisy immediate surroundings for a while by going for a walk into town - again combined with handing in another bag of clothes to a charity shop. This time, just one item, but a rather bulky one: An old winter coat, which I had decided to consider replaced by the new one that I bought on the shopping day with my brother when he was here at the end of August. And as I noted last time I was in the charity shop that they had started a special collection for winter clothes, that was a reminder for me to include my old coat in my washing yesterday; and then no reason to wait further to also get it off to the shop. 

The fountain in the main square was "up and running" today; and some new plantings had been made for autumn.


 


One of the bridges across the river, leading to the park, is decorated with pink symbols to remind of October being breast cancer awareness month. The "dressed statue" in the park had lost her knitted hat (cf my Saturday post), but was still wearing her pink skirt + message. (I did not take a new photo today.) 

While I was in town, I also popped in at the book shop to ask for the book mentioned in my Monday post. They had it, so I bought it. (The fourth and last in a series of which I already had the previous three in print.)


 I walked back home along the river. In some places, on a calm day, not all easy to sort out what's "real" vs reflection! ;)


 And at the "riverside" entrance to the cemetery, there were new autumn plantings, too:


 

8 comments:

  1. The plants are beautiful; I especially love the decorative cabbages! All your photos are beautiful...the large unusual fountain and the reflections and trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny. It was a nice day for a walk. :)

      Delete
  2. Some nice pictures here Monica. It always amazes me that you and Meike are so brilliant at written English but of course occasional mistakes will occur. I hope you don't mind me pointing out that you should not have used the word "plantations". The term you required was "plantings". "Plantations" is a term normally reserved for planted trees. I hope that your old winter coat finds a deserving new owner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks YP. I was wondering myself while writing but I was tired and forgot to check (as I frequently do, because how else would one learn...) I've corrected it in the text now.

      Delete
  3. It is always good to combine a nice walk with an errand or two, as you did on this beautiful day.
    I really like heather and have recently bought three small plants (in different colours) to go in a window box by the front door of the house. Since I am the only owner left who actually lives in the house (the other flats are rented out), nobody else will do anything to make the place a little nicer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, I like heather too and I've sometimes had some on my balcony in autumn. Not this year though.

      Delete
  4. It seems as though the changing colours of autumn, your thoughtful donation of the old winter coat, and your walk into town brought a welcome sense of calm amid all the surrounding noise, and how lovely that you were also able to find the final book in the series to complete your collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ro. A fine autumn day to me does often have a sense of calm about it... Just now in the daytime it's noisier than usual just where I live, though!

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.