Monday, 5 October 2026

How To Spend A Rainy Day


Today has been a thoroughly grey and rainy day, and by now (~ 5:15 pm) I've given up any thoughts of going out. The photos of colourful maple leaves in this post were taken one day last week, when I remembered to bring my "proper" camera on my walk (with better zoom capacity than my mobile). 
 
 
 


Of course I thought this morning that if I'm not going out, it will be a good day to get some "housework" done. 7 hours later, I can't really say I managed that either. As so often these days, I seem to have spent most of today struggling with "tech stuff" like updating apps not working as they should (or me not understanding how to get them to do so).
 
The main "hiccup" today was trying to update a (Swedish) library app (for e-books) that I hadn't used in a good while. The library had changed their login procedure, and I in turn wasn't even sure I remembered the old one correctly... So that took a while to sort out. I finally managed that part - but then I still had to struggle for a good while longer to also borrow the e-book, download it, and learn how to make (and keep!) the settings of font, text size and keeping track of how far I'd read etc. I finally managed to actually also read about 100 pages it (out of 700 something) today, though.
 
What motivated me was that I had just read a review of this newly published book, which is the fourth and last installment in a series of which I have read the previous three - and also have those in print. I'll probably end up buying this last one as well (to have the series complete); but as I do find it easier to read enlarged text on my tablet these days, I decided to try the library e-book for now. (The author, Susanna Alakoski, is Swedish-Finnish, and these four novels have to do with the history of textile industry in both countries - also involving BorĂ¥s where I live. Alas I can't find that any of her books - neither this series nor others - have been translated to English.) 
 
So that more or less sums up my day: Struggling with a library app, reading a few chapters, and then blogging about it... 
 

AI-generated image from 2024. (I'm not in the mood just now to check if since then AI has learned to keep the rain outdoors...)
 


7 comments:

  1. If anyone can figure out this app, it's you. The leaves are gorgeous! Especially the first photo. They are every color of the rainbow and like a painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, there had been strong winds blowing which probably explains why even many leaves with quite a lot of green left in them had blown to the ground.

      Delete
  2. I have only ever borrowed on ebook from our library, I rushed through reading it in case they took it back before I was finished and now can't even remember what it was. Fiction for sure, but that's all I know. I would never get through 700 pages in just a few days, unless I did absolutely nothing else but read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River I think our e-loans are for about a month, and the 700 referring to digital pages of enlarged text (on my tablet). The previous books in the series that I have in print are around 350-400 pages each. Normally I mostly listen to audio books these days (and primarily in English, via Audible). But I really wanted to read this one... ;)

      Delete
  3. P.S. the maple leaf colours are a veritable rainbow, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's just say the droplets indoors are not rain but meant to be the result of your struggles with tech-stuff :-D
    I do so wish for a rainy day here! Apparently we should get on on Thursday, which will be a travel day for me, as I'll be at a conference for work in Cologne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the alternative interpretation of the AI image, Meike! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...