Wednesday, 19 August 2026

Pelargoniums

 

I haven't been sitting on my balcony much this summer, except for a very short while now and then. On sunny days it's been way too hot - and otherwise too windy (or even wet). The balcony faces south-west and the sun comes round the corner around noon and stays until sunset. SW is also usually where our winds and rain come from here, though... And the showers we've had this summer have often been of the torrential kind. 

The pelargoniums (geraniums) that I bought back around Midsummer have been thriving, though. Because of the weather situation they've remained standing on the wooden bench against the wall under the windows (the most protected place); and I've been out to water them manually almost every evening. (A couple of times earlier in the summer when there were storm warnings issued, I took them in over night.)

The photo above is from today - which for a change has been rather rainy, and the temperature suddenly as low as around 14C (57F) all day!

The photo below is from my blog post 23 June, when I had just bought them:  

Photo from my blog post 23 June

  


18 comments:

  1. Wow, they have really thrived!! Will they live over the winter? Is this the European name for our Geraniums?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, Google tells me that:
      Pelargonium (commonly called patio pelargoniums or summer geraniums in window boxes) are frost-tender, asymmetrical container plants, whereas Geranium (true geraniums or cranesbills) are cold-hardy, symmetrical garden perennials. Both belong to the Geraniaceae family, but they are distinct genera with different care needs.

      Delete
  2. Your pelargoniums have weathered a rather dramatic summer remarkably well, thriving despite all the heat, wind and torrential rain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ro, they are the plant that I have found easiest to have on my balcony in summer.

      Delete
  3. Your pelargoniums are a beautiful colour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They obviously love their new place and the care you bestow on them!
    We've finally had some rain but of course we need a lot more; still, it was very very good to see and hear it, and we also have been enjoying slightly cooler nights, making for better sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, they don't demand much taking care of except water (and a bit of extra nourishment added occasionally).

      Delete
  5. They look beautiful. I have some that are in their third year. They are protected in my porch, so you may be able to find somewhere to help yours through to next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Addy, for me there is no alternative to just taking them inside in winter, but they they tend not to like the indoors winter climate in my flat. I do take them in when risk of first frost. Bit as they're no joy to look at half-withered later on in winter, I often prefer to get new fewsh ones in the spring.

      Delete
  6. What a gorgeous colour the flowers are. Funnily enough, your first paragraph exactly describes my own balcony situation. I meant to buy some pelargoniums but by the time I got round to it there were none left in the garden centre. I bought herbs instead, at least they're green and useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, I have experimented a bit more in the past but just didn't have the energy for that this year. Just as well, as the summer turned out so hot!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Billy, they provide a nice splash of colour without much trouble!

      Delete
  8. Lovely flowers, and I'm so glad they're doing so well with you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A delightful reflection on the uncertainties of nature and observation, with the Goldenrod and thriving pelargoniums providing a charming reminder that even familiar plants can reveal new surprises when examined more closely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ro. Photography does give us an extra boost to reflect on things we might otherwise just have fleetingly given a glance, doesn't it!

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...