Sunday 26 April 2020

A Walk in the Woods

A bit chillier here again this weekend - but still mostly sunny, and good weather for walking. Today, I tried to think of somewhere "different" to go - but still not so far from home that I'd end up too tired to walk back as well. Without any specific plan I set off in a slightly different direction than usual; and along the way got inspired to make a detour uphill through a  piece of woodland where I don't think I've walked in years. It's not really far from civilization, but for just a moment, I one can get the illusion of it. I hope the video will work. Do turn on the sound - it was the birdsong that made me try a video instead of just photos... :)




Wood Anemone - Anemone Nemorosa




Once upon a time, and for over twenty years, I used to live on top of that hill. (Somewhere behind the buildings to the left in the photo below.) This summer, it will be twelve years since I moved down to live on "flat ground" though. (And never regretted that!)



Looking down on an older street which I then walked back down to the riverside level. You can't see it here, but at its upper end that street ends in a steep flight of stairs to connect it (for pedestrians) to the higher level of the hill. 



Through My Lens

17 comments:

  1. What a lovely walk, and a bit of your history. Cute birdsong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I thought of making the video - I tend to often forget about that possibility with the camera.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed hearing that, been a while since I've been out in nature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very lucky to have such a lovely walk within walking distance. One would think you were miles from civilisation. Thanks for the video, I always enjoy the sound of birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline, I very rarely get out into the proper countryside nowadays (and since the corona situation, not at all). The part of this path where you don't see any houses at all is probably only 100 meters or so... But the birds seemed to think that's enough to be happy about - so so did I! :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for taking us along for this beautiful woodland walk, Monica!
    The video works well for me, and the birdsong is clearly audible.
    Like you, sometimes I just follow my inclination when out walking, with no or only a very rough idea in my mind where I want to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, I find that there's a certain sense of freedom in that - even when the walk has to be kept short, and close to home.

      Delete
  5. I wish that I was better at remembering flower names. I wanted to call the little white flower a periwinkle bit I think their petals are slightly different and mauve. They do grow in woodlands though as ground cover. The video with the lovely birdsong happified my breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, the white flower is wood anemone (anemone nemorosa). I forgot to include the name yesterday, but have rectified that now. I had another post about them recently, earlier this month.

      Delete
  6. you did find something new, i love looking up the hill and down on the roofs in those last photos. and the video is perfect.. i could hear the birds while enjoying the woods view.. a beautiful walk about...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've visited Sweden several times and what is it - the quality of the light perhaps - but your photographs instantly take me back there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't travelled abroad all that many times in my life, but the few times in the past when I did, there was always something about the light and the colours that struck me when I got back to Sweden again. For me it would of course be connected with coming home; so it's interesting to hear it from someone else. :) - I just visited your blog and see you're from Yorkshire. That part of England has special place in my heart ever since my teens; at age 16 going on 17 I spent a month with a family in a village near Doncaster (in a kind of student exchange program) and it was my first long stay away from home and journey abroad without my family.

      Delete
  8. Your walk in the woods was delightful. We are still on "stay inside" here. Do get out a little with mask ~ Be so glad when this is over. Thanks for the visit and your memories of wash day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The birdsong really recorded well!

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...