Saturday 3 August 2019

Sepia Saturday - Varberg

The Bath House & the Fortress. Varberg.
A postcard from my great-uncle Gustaf's collection. The bath house at the beach below Varberg Fortress was built in 1903. The photo is likely to be from between 1903-1913.

The stamp has been removed and there is no date written on the card. But from late 1902 until 1911, Gustaf was living in America; and the card is addressed to him at the family farm in Sweden. Most likely it was sent to him between 1911-1913 (when he was back living there again).

My own photo of the same view, from July 2019. 

(Yes, you may already have seen this in a recent post here. That's what triggered my memory and made me look for the old postcard...)


The Fortress, built around 1300, is nowadays a museum.




On the first day of this year's holiday trip, we had lunch at the café up at the fortress; and also briefly popped in to have a look at the forge they've opened up for  tourists to see a blacksmith at work...

... which is really my main reason for linking to: 

 Sepia Saturday 481


8 comments:

  1. This is so col, that you snapped the exact same scene that your great-uncle did so many years ago. I have been going back and forth to look at differences. There aren't many!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, my great-uncle was not the photographer, only the recipient of the postcard - but never mind :)

      Delete
  2. wow, the old view and your view are pretty much the same. turn it sepia, remove people and new stuff and looks the same. I like to visit old forts here that have been made into museums.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting double shots of the same place many years apart! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice match. I give postcards extra points if I can find a comparable street view on Google maps. What is the bathhouse now used for? It looks like an amusement park building for skating or music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, the bathhouse is still a bathhouse! There is also a small café out there where you can get a cup of coffee or an ice cream etc.

      Delete
  5. Amazing how similar the two views are despite the the gap of more than a century! It appears that only the sea wall has been changed to a fence. Great match to the prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great double view of the same scene! I jus realized I had several blacksmith ancestors, so could have used that as my link to SS this week...but I did do something with fire and clay.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...