Sunday 25 August 2019

Pili-pala

Dw i'n mwynhau gwylio'r pili-pala (Welsh)
= "I enjoy watching the butterfly" 


On Saturday afternoon the sun came out (after having been absent for a few days). I went for a walk to my "Butterfly Park" again and was pleased to find all my familiar little friends there, enjoying the sunshine. (Where do butterflies go when it rains??) Last time I was there taking photos I saw mostly Painted Ladies, but this time the Small Tortoiseshells seemed to be in majority.

I like the Welsh word for butterfly, pili-pala (which I learned from Duolingo). I don't know the origin but to me it kind of sounds like a butterfly moves... (don't know if that makes sense to anyone else!)

Brimstone butterfly (Gonepteryx rhamni)
Swedish: Citronfjäril ('lemon' butterfly)
Peacock butterfly (Inachis io)
Swedish: Påfågelsöga ('peacock's eye')

Small Tortoiseshell (Aglais urticae)
Swedish: Nässelfjäril ('nettle' butterfly)




Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta)
Swedish: Amiralfjäril ('admiral' butterfly)
Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui, or Cynthia cardui)
Swedish: Tistelfjäril ('thistle' butterfly)

6 comments:

  1. I often wonder where wildlife finds shelter in inclement weather. With butterflies, I suppose they are small enough to get into tiny nooks and crannies in fences, hedges, walls, between rocks... Just a guess.
    Some of your Swedish butterfly names are the same in German, and it makes perfect sense to associate pili-pala with the movement of their wings!
    By the way, maybe that is where the German expression "Pillepalle" comes from, colloquial to indicate something small, insignificant (although we know that butterflies are anything but insignificant!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, Meike! I've never come across "Pillepalle" in German. I agree it seems likely that the two words have a common origin referring to something small. (Pili-pala also reminded me of the French word for butterfly, 'papillon'. Which in turn comes from Latin 'papilio', also meaning butterfly - I learn when I look that up...)

      Delete
  2. your photos are AMAZING of these beautiful pili-palias. I like that word also...I would spend a lot of time in the garden if it were within walking distance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I like going there on sunny days this time of year especially because this is when we see the most butterflies around here. It's only when I find myself alone there that I feel free to walk round and round the flowerbeds chasing butterflies with my camera, though!

      Delete
  3. They are all so beautiful. I have never seen an all green one anywhere. I think camoflauged to took like leaves. The Peacock is stunning!!! Wah, I have snapped none all year!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're beautiful, at our old house we use to get alot of monarchs and around the general area, I love the way they flit and sit shining their wings in the sun.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...