Thursday 24 February 2022

Postcards from Ukraine

 


Trying to digest hours and hours of news reports today about Russia's invasion of Ukraine, I went to my Postcrossing account to check what postcards I've received in the past from Ukraine. I found that between 2013-2015, I received quite a few cards from there. In 2016, only one (the top one above) - and since then, no more. Since 2016 I also haven't been given any address in Ukraine to send a card to, except once in 2021. I know I was more active in postcrossing myself during the first years after I joined (then having a lot of inherited old stamps that I wanted to send out into the world); but looking at the PC statistics now, they also seem to reflect political changes in Ukraine around that time.

The dragon card was sent to me from Ukraine in September 2015. I don't know if this particular dragon belongs in a special story, or if it is meant to be good or bad. But usually in European/Slavic folklore I think dragons are at least not considered trustworthy as to their good intentions.

Just now, I guess we must hope that just like in various fairy tales, the (wicked) dragon will be tricked to fall victim to its own greed in the end... 

PS. Looking at these two cards together on my screen, it strikes me that the dragon image has roughly the same shape as the map of the country! (Especially that front paw...)

- - -

PPS (25.2) On the back of the dragon postcard it says "golden dragon". I tried googling that but didn't find any reference to a special tale, or Ukraine. I did get sent to some websites related to the game Dungeons & Dragons, though. On one of them, about Gold Dragons, under the heading Personality and Motivations I found this - rather worth contemplating in relation to mighty human leaders as well...

Gold dragons are strong believers in the rule of order and the greater good, but they are also arrogant and dismissive, more concerned with unfathomable goals than with the needs of "lesser creatures." For every gold dragon champion that aids a community of humanoids, or rules it with a just and benevolent hand, there is another that has become a tyrant, demanding the obedience it deserves "by right," or crushing individual freedoms and creativity in the name of law. Even these dragons tend to view themselves as morally in the right, making the hard choices nobody else can.

Even when cooperating with or benevolently ruling other creatures, gold dragons seem dismissive of the concerns of lesser beings. This attitude isn't necessarily a sign that they don't care for the good of their subjects or allies (though some might not); rather, it's because gold dragons believe in their superiority over other races but don't necessarily understand what that means. A gold dragon watching over a community might not acknowledge the complaints, needs, or troubles of citizens because it truly doesn't realize how bad things are. Even after dwelling for years among humans, gold dragons are frequently shocked at just how weak and fragile such creatures are.

9 comments:

  1. Goodness. The dragon postcard is lovely, wish they had some dragons to help them now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The map has a somewhat dragon shape to it. I do like dragons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one looks kind, as if he (or she) is protecting the people on the rocky outcrop. And the castle? I am sure it is all part of a tale well known in the Ukraine.
    What's going on there right now affects us all, and it also has heightened my understanding of how there are so many wars going on at the same time on our poor planet; only that they rarely get as much attention as this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 25.2 - I just added this "PPS" to the original post:

    On the back of the dragon postcard it says "golden dragon". I tried googling that but didn't find any reference to a special tale, or Ukraine. I did get sent to some websites related to the game Dungeons & Dragons, though. On one of them, about Gold Dragons, under the heading Personality and Motivations I found this - rather worth contemplating in relation to mighty human leaders as well...

    "Gold dragons are strong believers in the rule of order and the greater good, but they are also arrogant and dismissive, more concerned with unfathomable goals than with the needs of "lesser creatures." For every gold dragon champion that aids a community of humanoids, or rules it with a just and benevolent hand, there is another that has become a tyrant, demanding the obedience it deserves "by right," or crushing individual freedoms and creativity in the name of law. Even these dragons tend to view themselves as morally in the right, making the hard choices nobody else can.

    Even when cooperating with or benevolently ruling other creatures, gold dragons seem dismissive of the concerns of lesser beings. This attitude isn't necessarily a sign that they don't care for the good of their subjects or allies (though some might not); rather, it's because gold dragons believe in their superiority over other races but don't necessarily understand what that means. A gold dragon watching over a community might not acknowledge the complaints, needs, or troubles of citizens because it truly doesn't realize how bad things are. Even after dwelling for years among humans, gold dragons are frequently shocked at just how weak and fragile such creatures are."

    ReplyDelete
  5. i echo Ginny with they need dragons to help them, this is as always heartbreaking to see from afar and scary that no matter how hard we try war is always a part of our planet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting postcards.
    If there are dragons to help, they must be benevolent - kindly and caring of their lesser beings. Certain aspects of the Personality and Motivations descriptions are very apt at this time, and I'm sure we can all recognise the traits of at least one leader. The words "tyrant" and "crushing individual freedoms" ring true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's shocking isn't it? There's a guy on youtube who travels around Russia/Ukraine etc documenting his journeys, I hope he and everyone will be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although I read it yesterday and again this morning I found it all a bit hard to take in fully. I suppose that I was trying, possibly subconsciously, to relate it to current reality. That really is a scary situation and I'm afraid there ar no dragons to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, I really started out just checking when I last received a postcard from Ukraine (having a feeling that it was not recently - which turned out correct). It was when I found the dragon that I started wondering what the artist had in mind when drawing it - and my own mind went off in search of stories, symbols, meanings and analogies...

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...