Thursday 1 June 2023

Alien Invasion

 This week started with what looked like an invasion from Outer Space...


We had been forwarned, though: The outside of our balconies (on the whole estate) were to be cleaned by pressure washing, starting this week and 2-3 weeks onward. So we were told to remove or cover objects on our balconies that could get in the way or be damaged by that. 
 
No exact date for each building was given, though, so not all easy to know when to start preparing. But already last weekend did I remove the extra wind break sheet that I put up on the railing back in April, + covered my wooden bench with a plastic tablecloth.
 
On Monday afternoon I noticed the UFO (skylift)  had already landed on the lawn beneath my balcony; so then I also hurried to move my boxes of strawberry plants from the railing to the bench against the wall... hoping that would suffice... 
 
On Tuesday morning when I got up I found they had already got started - although it was another fine day, it looked like a rainstorm was going on outside my living room... "At the last minute" I managed to stick out a hand through the door and take in my tomato plant - which I had also put on top of the bench, but had "second thoughts" about when I realised how much water was actually being splashed about... 

I remained a bit nervous about my other plants and things while it was going on, but it all went well. The strawberry plants took it well and my clematis plant on the trellis on the wall also survived the attack (though it lost the last of its fading flowers).
 
On Wednesday the Alien and his Machine had moved on to the next building and that's when I took the photos of him working (zooming in from my kitchen window).
 
I've now put things back in order on my own balcony, and I have also been to the supermarket to buy a few more summer flowers. (And with my grocery delivery last week, I also ordered a bag of potting soil so that I can do some replanting when needed.)

 
The orange one is a "million bells" (small petunia), the white one a regular petunia, and the pink ones are pelargoniums (geraniums). I prefer to have flowers in separate pots rather than in a box because of the unreliable weather conditions on my balcony - the threat of pressure washing may be over, but I know from experience that Mother Nature has forces of her own that makes it better to be able to move plants around... (Whether because of rain, wind or too much heat and sun.)

13 comments:

  1. Now it is so pretty, and ready for summer! Do they do this every year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, definetly not every year, no. I think it's been done once before while I've lived here, though. So perhaps every 10th year?

      Delete
  2. That does look like an alien, do the blue legs move and walk, i.e. is it self propelled? Your balcony is filled with beauty. Do you put a chair on it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terra, somehow I managed to miss the actual movings of the lift from one spot to another on the ground - so I have no idea how that was done! (which contributed to the UFO feeling...)

      Delete
    2. And yes, I have a light foldable chair with high back out there. Not sensitive to rain so it's there all summer. I can put an extra cushion on it for more comfort if I like (that I keep indoors).

      Delete
  3. Your balcony looks so beautiful! I love the mix of colours.
    The Alien invasion was for a good cause - I sometimes walk past buildings here that look so dirty and neglected, and even with just a bit of cleaning up they'd be much more attractive. The estate you live on seems to be very well cared for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, I've lived here 15 years now and can only agree - I have no major complaints about the general maintenance (neither of the buildings nor the grounds).

      Delete
  4. now your plants have a clean enviroment to spread their beauty all summer. we had a million bells plant, purple, but it died.. your plants are looking good and will be even more beautiful in a few weeks. the machine looks like it could walk about on the moon if needed. its good to get all this included with your rent and not have to pay for it like we would on our house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, we still pay for it of course, with the rent... But yes, one is spared the hassle of trying to figure out for oneself how much one needs to put aside each month for maintenance. (And also the hassle of organising it!)

      Delete
  5. That looks a fearsome piece of equipment!
    Your plants look so colourful and very healthy - you look after them so well. I'm ashamed to say that after the initial planting and tending, most of my plants have to fend for themselves. Recent rains have certainly given them a lift, and now they all need a good prune.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, the pelargoniums and petunias are brand new (bought this week) so still remains to be seen how they fare in the long run! ;)

      Delete
  6. It looks as if your property is well looked after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have found very little reason to complain about the general maintenance over the 15 years that I've lived here.

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...