Sunday 28 May 2023

Versary Updates

I celebrated two (anni)versaries in the month of May that I did not get round to blogging about at the time. 


 May 15th was my 10th Postcrossing-versary.



  • What is Postcrossing?

    The goal of this project is to allow anyone to send and receive postcards from all over the world!

    The idea is simple: for each postcard you send, you will receive one back from a random postcrosser from somewhere in the world.

Ilustration on how Postcrossing works: 1. Write a postcard 2. Post it (wait) 3. Hurray! You've got mail 4. Register the postcard (repeat) 

When I joined Postcrossing, in 2013, that was a couple of years after my dad died. He used to collect stamps; but in his later years (with increasing dementia) he lost control of the "collecting". When going through his study I kept finding envelopes both here and there of fairly recent stamps that he had bought (he subscribed to new issues) but never opened. Around the same time, I heard about Postcrossing from fellow bloggers. Not being a  collector myself, I decided the most fun I'd have with the stamps (still good for use) would be to send them out into the world, which was what they were made for in the first place. So that's what got me started - not really considering at the time, I have to admit, that instead of one box of unused stamps, I'd end up with a collection of postcards (and more than one box!) instead... Ehrmmm... 

Having used up all those old "free" stamps of higher value - and with postage having become increasingly expensive in later years - I've cut down a lot on my participation since the first years, though. Luckily the system makes it fairly easy to keep one's own pace. (Stop sending, and you won't be receiving either.)


16th May was my 7th Duoversary (Duolingo.com)


These figures I assume to include all the languages I've have a look at via Duolingo. Those of you who have been following me since 2016 may recall that besides Spanish, I've also been "sniffing" at several other languages - just to test my brain's capacity to deal with that. Learning Spanish has been my priority all along though, and still is. All these seven years, I've been doing at least one daily lesson of Spanish - which means 2564 days in a row, today. (I'm still finding it very hard to follow spoken Spanish though, because they really do tend to talk so very fast!)

Two other languages that I think I also started on (from scratch) already back in 2016 were Welsh and Turkish. (Just to test my capacity for learning multiple languages at the same time.) I've gradually given up on both of those, though - the grammar got too complicated, and it's also hard to memorize words when a language is too different from those more familiar to you of old. Occasionally I go back and practice some beginners' lessons, but I've given up on moving forward. And the same with Russian. I feel more comfortable to continue a bit further with Dutch, but my ambition there was always only to increase my understanding, not to speak/write (it's too much like German, which I know since school/university back in my youth - so German tends to take over in my head as soon as it comes to actually trying to construct a sentence etc). But because Dutch comes across to me as a kind of mix of German, English and the Scandinavian languages, through Duolingo I feel I have learned to decipher it better than I used to. 

I've always liked languages so I'm still just learning/practicing for fun, rather than for any specific goal. I'm hoping it's good brain exercise, though!

 

12 comments:

  1. I can't believe the 10th and 7th and I have been with you since you started them. of course i only collect how many software programs i can use. LOL
    I remember when you started the spanish lessons, you loved it and posted about it and i signed up and in a very short few days, said it wasn't for me. that was7 years ago. Wow. talk about time flying. About them speaking Spanish rapidly, here in the states the young people, that means anyone under 35 speak English so fast we can't follow them. Especially on TV shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I can only agree about "time flying"... English (whether British or American) I can usually follow without subtexts (but on TV we get Swedish subtexts as standard). I agree people talking extremely fast can be a problem in any language, though!

      Delete
  2. I am still amazed by people who speak more than one language. My brain can barely keep up with day to day things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, that's why I also try to make it a "day to day thing" to practice foreign languages... ;-)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on both versaries, Monica!
    To use the stamps you inherited for postcrossing was a very good idea. And learning more languages features high on my list of things I plan to do when I‘ll retired (in about 12 years).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meike. Well at least we're both daily practicing (and no doubt also improving) our English via both reading and blogging!

      Delete
  4. Until I joined your blog, I'd never heard of post crossing. It seems a good idea. As someone who doesn't need to start collecting anything else, I'd have to pass.
    When we first came to live in Spain, I was full of enthusiasm to learn the language, and found a teacher on a one-to-one basis to get me started. Unfortunately she was English and there were certain problems with her pronunciation of English words, let alone Spanish. Later I joined a class, which grew so huge that some of us never had a chance to speak! Eventually I gave up and just have a limited knowledge of the language. With my poor hearing (I wear a hearing aid) I find that I can't follow rapid Spanish at all - and most of them speak very quickly. When a crowd of Spaniards get together, they are incredibly noisy and tend to shout - and all speak over one another! However I can read and understand some of the language, but local accents and nuances are very different. I get by in shops and cafés, but being a holiday resort many Spaniards speak English anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you had to "give up" on Spanish, Carol, but I suppose knowing enough to get by in daily life is sufficient. Especially since English does tend to be very useful for communication world-wide... ;-) Duolingo is a good way to learn, though, I recommend it. The website version is free and also works well on tablets and mobile phones. (There is also an "app" version which I tried but just got annoyed with.)

      Delete
  5. Postcrossing sounds like fun, how do you get involved in it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, just go to postcrossing.com and create a free account.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always admired your ability with languages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Graham. When one's first language is a "small" one, learning more (especially English) really widens one's world so I guess also increases the motivation. At least it did for me!

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...