Thursday 20 April 2023

Balcony Time

 

The sunny weather continues to inspire "spring things", and today I once again took the bus "across town" to buy something I knew I'd be able to buy there, but not in the city centre. The photo is from close to where I got off the bus, and you can see a glimpse of the shopping mall I was aiming for through the trees on the left. (Some trees are almost turning green now... won't be long!)

I had done my online research beforehand, so it didn't take me long to find what I was looking for - in one of those stores that tend to sell just about anything except food, clothes and hi-tech stuff. What I was after this time was a new wind/privacy protectetion sheet (or whatever you call it) for my balcony, as my old one came out torn from its last turn in the washing machine back in the autumn (having served me through several summers by then). The new one is the exact same model, size and colour though. (Which I considered a good thing as then I knew it would fit!) Having bought that, I also had time to pop into the nearby (food) supermarket and buy some bananas and grapes, before I caught the next bus back. (Some walking included in the trip as well though, as I have a 15 min walk from home to the bus stop from where I take that bus - and the same on the way back.)

Put up the screen when I got back home, the way I'm used to having it. It reduces the open part of my balcony railing in corner where I usually sit, but leaves a narrow peep-hole at the other end. 

I also actually sat there for a while after lunch (shadowed by the parasol, which is also new - bought last summer, but not used until now) - listening to music from Spotify. Someone might remember me "discovering" this app when I bought my new phone about a month ago... Then amazed that it seemed to be ad-free, which was not my impression from before (years ago). Well - that of course turned out to be just for the first two weeks, and then it changed to the free version with ads... However, today they offered me a free premium trial of three months... No ads + also being able to download and listen offline. I decided to accept that, as spring/summer is likely to be a period when I'll find that useful. (Like when sitting on the balcony, or elsewhere outdoors, and wanting to shut other sounds out.) (Of course I realise that they hope three months free trial will get me so addicted that I'll then want to continue and be willing to pay for it... Ah well. I'll decide about that when I get there!)

10 comments:

  1. I do like spotify mainly for when we go on road trips, I like to listen to podcasts and most cellphone companies here offer good deals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy as I said in the post I suspect summer is probably the time I'm likely to use it most. After the premium trial I'll probably go back to the free version. After all I also have other ways of listening to music at home...

      Delete
  2. So if you decide to keep it, how much would it cost monthly? Your balcony is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny I think it was around $10 per month.

      Delete
  3. I like the light blue pattern on your parasol! The wind/privacy screen is a good idea, and your balcony is still full of light and air.
    What mostly happens with such trial offers ist hat people simply forget about them, and then their subscription keeps running until they actively and consciously end it. I guess that is what most companies offering such trials count on.
    Is it already a month you bought your new mobile phone?! Unbelievable – I could have sworn it was only a week or two ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, the colour on the parasol is more greenish than blue (even if hard to tell in this photo) and kind of matches my green bench.
      I agree about the strategy from the companies about subscriptions... I've made note of the date though and with Spotify I don't think I'll let it run on forever. Possibly throughout the summer but that depends on how much I end up actually using it...
      Yes it's a month already since I bought the new phone... And over two weeks since I bought the new laptop! It's certainly been a very intense "technology update" month for me!! (still going on, I might add, as I'm still "exploring"...)

      Delete
  4. Your balcony looks like a good spot to sit out, relax and enjoy the view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JC, it's also very much exposed to weather and winds and noise from neighbours though (and facing another block of flats across the lawn), so most of the time not as relaxing as it might seem... Still, I'm glad to have it!

      Delete
  5. Your balcony is looking great and I like that little wind brake thing I don’t remember it Before today! You’re all set to enjoy your spring summer and it’s a good way to listen to music. Do you use your phones to listen or do you just let it play. I spend my $10 a month for kindle books. If I had your balcony I would be sitting on it reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra. I use my new wireless 'earbuds' to listen to music from the phone. With audio books, when listening while resting and no other background noise, I just listen straight from the phone speakers. On the balcony I would use the earbuds for that too, though. There's always background noise outdoors so I find it hard to concentrate on reading there.

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...