Tuesday 6 February 2024

Bed-Knobs and Broomsticks (Book Review)

 

Back in the autumn, something made wonder if I ever read this book or not, so I downloaded it for Kindle. Read it today, and I'm still not sure. I see there's also a Disney movie based on it, from 1971, but that seems to differ quite a bit from the books, and includes animated scenes, and I'm pretty sure I never saw that.

Anyway, I've read it now. It's actually two books: The Magic Bed-Knob (1945) and Bonfires and Broomsticks (1947).  

The Magic Bed-Knob

"Once upon a time there were three children and their names were Carey, Charles and Paul. Carey was about your age, Charles a little younger, and Paul was only six. One summer they were sent to Bedfordshire to stay with an aunt..."

A neighbour of their aunt is a Miss Price. One day she falls off her bicycle and hurts her ankle - or so it is said. Paul, however, claims to have seen her falling off a garden broomstick... The children bring her some food from their aunt, and get to know her a bit better. As Paul has been watching her fly the broomstick, she confesses that she's studying to be a witch, but says she's not really much good at it yet. The children kind of blackmail her into a deal: They won't tell anyone, if she can give them some kind of bewitched item.

Paul happens to have a loose bedknob from his bed in his pocket. Miss Price says she can put a spell on that, which will make his bed able to travel: "If you twist it one way, the bed will take you where you want, in the present. Twist it the other way, and the bed will take you back into the past."

The children decide to give it a try in the present, but disagree on where to go. Since it's Paul's bedknob, he makes the decision, though (it is only for him that the magic works - he has to be the one to twist the knob). And he just wants to go back home to London, so that's where they end up first... Which turns out to be troublesome enough, with the bed landing on the street outside their house (with no one at home)...

Eventually they manage to get back to Bedfordshire, though. They consult with Miss Price, and she agrees to come with them on their next outing with the bed - this time to a South Sea island, which, according to an encyclopaedia they consult, is supposed to be uninhabited. The encyclopaedia turns out to be wrong about that, though, which means they land in another unforeseen and rather scary adventure...

Without revealing the details of that, they manage to get out of that situation as well, and back to their aunt's - but in an awful mess, and with the bed soaked in water, which they have a hard time trying to explain to their aunt; who by now is very annoyed with them, and decides their stay with her is over. They manage to keep Miss Price out of it, though (but their aunt probably wouldn't have believed them, anyway!)

Bonfires and Broomsticks

At the opening of the second book, a couple of years have passed. The children are again going to be sent away for a vacation, and this happens to coincide with them finding a newspaper ad put in by no other than Miss Price, declaring herself willing to lodge a couple of children for a while. She agrees to take these children whom she already knows. When they get there, she declares that she's given up magic - but she is now in possession of the bed from their aunt's house (I forget why, but that had been sold in the meantime, and the aunt moved away I think), and Paul still has the magic bedknob... And this time, rather than travelling in the present, the children end up travelling into the Past, to the year 1666, just before the Great Fire of London. And from there they bring back with them a nervous necromancer, who is really only pretending to be able to do magic. He spends a bit of time with them in their own time (something which made me think of the British TV series Catweazle, which I enjoyed back in the 1970s) but Miss Price decides he has to be taken back to his own time again: "I don't really like to mention it, but there's no getting away from the fact that, as far as we're concerned, Mr Jones is long since dead and buried."

But back in he 1660s, of course, new problems arise, as back then, people believed to be practising witchcraft were also being persecuted. "If he sank and died there in the water, it showed he was a human man and innocent of magic, but if he lived, that was a sign that he lived by supernatural powers, and they would burn him at the stake."

How they all got out of that last adventure, I will not reveal - but I found the whole book quite entertaining, in a nonsensical way... :)

- - -

Mary Norton (1903-1992), English writer of children's books, is probably better known for The Borrowers series (1952 to 1961 + 1982) - about tiny people living secretly (like under your floor or behind your walls) in the midst of contemporary human civilisation. That's one of my favourite children's books/series, ever since my childhood. I have the first four in Swedish from the 1960s, and have also reread them all in English in later years (including the last book, written 20 years after the original series).


7 comments:

  1. I want that bed knob. the magic one. It sounds familiar in the title, but I don't think I have ever read the book or seen a movie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I feel rather relieved there are no knobs on my bed. I think I prefer it to stay safely at home... (lol)

      Delete
  2. I read the first one of these when I was a child, and I also saw the Disney movie on TV back in the 1970s. Mary Norton was a great storyteller, and my sister and I loved The Borrowers very much when we were children. My sister used to have a favourite tiny doll (part of our dollhouse family) which she pretended to be alive, like a Borrower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, I still love the Borrowers; and in this story I enjoyed how the story was told, even if the adventures as such were a little "out there".

      Delete
  3. Hello from Texas. We had about four days of below freezing weather here. I am dreading summer. Already short sleeves and shorts in February! I enjoy your blog. Am so envious of your environment. I had to comment today, because my grandson and I watched Angela Lansbury in Bedknobs and Broomsticks MANY times back in the early '90's. That show is a real treat. I think it would be fun for you to watch if there is a way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RunNRose. I'll keep it in mind it if "turns up"... From what I read on imdb it seems like a bit of a mix of the two books.

      Delete
  4. Carol, I'm still kind of mystified myself because I seem to have a concept of and even "images in my head " of how that magic bed knob worked; but when I read the books now, the actual stories did not really ring any bells. I suppose I may just have heard OF the book rather than reading it myself (until now).

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...