Tuesday 13 February 2024

The Opposite of Fun

Having posted my own childhood memories from the amusement park Liseberg in Gothenburg for "Sepia Saturday" this weekend, it felt extremely weird yesterday (Monday) to hear the news of a devastating fire having broken out there - in their new 'water world' called Oceana, still under construction... The photo below snapped from my TV screen today; the English text below copied from www.mynewsdesk.com

Press release - 12 February 2024 18:19
Update regarding the fire at Liseberg Oceana Water World in Gothenburg, Sweden

A fire broke out on Monday morning at Liseberg Oceana Water World in Gothenburg, Sweden, resulting in total destruction of the building. The fire, which started on the outside of the southern part of the building, quickly spread to parts of the pool hall.

One person contracted by Liseberg is still missing, and the police have filed a report of a missing person. A total of sixteen  22  individuals have sought medical care for minor injuries ---

- We are deeply saddened by the devastating event. Our primary task now is to assist the police in the search for the missing person and to support everyone affected, said Liseberg CEO Andreas Andersen.

The main focus throughout the day has been to prevent further injuries and to avoid the fire from spreading to adjacent structures and nearby buildings.

Liseberg Grand Curiosa Hotel and Liseberg's nearby office buildings have been evacuated. ---
Liseberg has established continuous communication with the fire department, police, the local hospitals, and the construction contractor NCC to coordinate efforts.

13 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I sure hope they fins this person and they are alright! Do they think he was there when the fire started? Do they know the cause of the fire?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginny, I got the impression he was working there. And no, the cause has not been established yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is sad, all that work gone up in flames. I hope they find the missing person and he is alright. it would be sheer bedlam moving the entire hotel out and fearing the flames would spread. Fire to me is the scariest of all disasters, winds and rain and flood, you can swim, or hang on, fire you incenerates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ps, it is odd you had just posted about it when it happened.

      Delete
    2. Sandra, at least I have an alibi for Monday morning!
      (...sorry, twisted sense of humour kicking in...)

      Delete
  4. Oh no, that is so awful. What a shock for you to learn this. I am sorry for all concerned. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, a shock for everyone, no doubt, as the amusement park as such has a long history (opened in 1923). And especially to those working there, or living nearby. To me, a weird coincidence that I had just been writing about it... But several decades since I last visited the place myself...

      Delete
  5. Good job it was still "only" under construction and not yet full of people looking for a fun day out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I saw this on the TV news yesterday, I immediately thought of you Monica. It's such a tragedy. Like everyone else, I hope they find the missing worker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, as the park is a well-known tourist attraction I'm not surprised this news travelled far.

      Delete
  7. Oh no, I wonder how it started, no doubt there will be an enquiry as to the cause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they've established the cause yet, Amy. The fire still going on in places from what I understand. Heard they found a body now, supposedly the missing person but I'm not sure that's been confirmed yet either.

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...