Thursday 8 February 2024

More Musings on "Life and Death"

 

It kept on snowing on and off from Monday night until this morning, when we had a glimpse of sun and blue sky again for a change. On Tuesday and Wednesday I stayed in. Today I managed a short walk after lunch. Byt then the sun had already gone into hiding again, but at least the pavements and walk paths had meanwhile been ploughed and sanded. It still felt rather cold though, so I was not tempted to go very far - just took a short turn around the old cemetery, which now again looks pretty much like it did in January.

Following the sad news towards the end of January about the death of my blog/pen-friend John in England, February has started out with more news of similar kind. First I learned through FB that American friends, living in Asia since many years, lost a son (in his early twenties) in a tragic motorcycle accident in the US. (For now, because of that, the family are all gathered over there.) (They're not bloggers, so no one reading this is likely to know them.) I met the dad in Sweden way back in the mid 1980s (not yet married then) and we've somehow managed to stay in touch - in later years via FB. So I've also seen photos of their sons growing up. Must be such a chock to unexpectedly lose a child like that, just at the beginning of his adult years...

Then on top of that (for me), a dear friend in Sweden (but not in the same city), who has been fighting cancer for a couple of years now, let her friends on FB know the other day that she'd just been told that (unless there is a miracle) she won't be getting well again. She's several years younger than me, so that too feels really tragic and "hard to grasp". It's been a a long time now since we last met in person, but we've been friends since the 1970s, when we both did live in the same city for a while. So she's yet another friend with whom in later years it's mostly thanks to FB that we're still keeping up to date with each other's lives. 

So frequent reminders lately that Life is Short, and Unpredictable. But, on the other hand -  also reminders of deep thankfulness for these friends, and having been able to stay in touch with them throughout all these years, in spite of the physical distance. (In itself, really rather "against the odds"...)

 

12 comments:

  1. It is sad when good friends die too young. Our very dear friend in England was younger than I am now when he was diagnosed with cancer and died three months later. That was seven years ago now, but it remains with me as an ache that doesn't go away.
    I think of him when I hesitate about spending money on treats and holidays and realise that we can't count on sticking around long enough to keep saving. Enjoy life now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, the difficulty with that (spending vs saving) is that most of us can't really tell very long in advance whether we're likely to drop dead tomorrow, or will perhaps have to try and scrape by past 90, or even 100...

      Delete
  2. Oh my, Monica. I am so sorry. What an awful winter this is for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, the last few months have certainly had its share of "worries"; but my main concerns just now are more for far-away friends than for myself. It just brings up a lot of memories and thoughts.

      Delete
  3. So sorry to hear there are other friends left and leaving. I am having the same thing here, it started last Feb, so for this year total friends gone is 7 with one in hospice now.
    Mine were family and friends from childhood, teen hood, and life long, no bloggers that i know of, though one did lose her husband last year. I don't fret about who will be next but i do continue to save and be thrifty because you are right, no telling how long we will live and have to get by

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I'm sorry for your losses as well. Although an inevitable part of living to get old(er) oneself, it's never easy to lose friends along the way.

      Delete
  4. Sad news for you all around, but just like you, when in 2022 I lost so many family and friends, the grief was balanced with gratitude for having had such wonderful people in my life. And of course every time we lose a friend, we are reminded of how even more precious our remaining friends are now.
    A friend of mine whom I've known for 30+ years has been diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumour early last year. She underwent radiation therapy (no chemo) which was successful in that it has stopped the tumour's growth. She was 48 when she was diagnosed, and as soon as she could after rehab, she went back to work, determined to live her life as normal as possible - knowing full well that this thing in her head is still there. Every time I see her, I am so glad she's still around, and hug her tight. She came along for the pub quiz on Tuesday, which was great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, you're right of course, about the balance between grief and gratitude. As for my Swedish friend, she had three tumours removed in different parts of her body, but recent scans must have shown even more (I don't know all the details). She's still alive and able to communicate, though (and has chosen to do so).

      Delete
  5. Monica, I am so very sorry to hear that you've lost friends lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, my Swedish friend is still alive, just aware that her days are "counted" (even if no one can tell the exact number).

      Delete
  6. Yes, life is short, you never know when you're gonna go. So sorry for your losses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Amy, none of us know... With my American friends it's the parents I know, but I feel for the family in their loss of a son and brother.

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...