Wednesday, 15 July 2026

Flamingo Fountain

 

Photo snapped off my TV screen, from the news on Swedish Television today. At a retirement home somewhere they have introduced this as a fun way for their residents to "cool off" in the current heat wave.  


 I did contemplate yesterday to perhaps make similar use of the sprinklers in the cemetery. (But then it wasn't yet all that hot, so I didn't...)


 

Today I might have been more tempted, as we reached 31C (88F) here in the afternoon. But that also meant it was too hot for me to walk that "far". I was only out for a very short walk in the morning, to buy some fruit & veg in the nearest small convenience shop. The rest of the day was spent indoors behind closed blinds and curtains, with fans whirring... 

Tomorrow they predict 32C, so I won't be doing much then either! 

16 comments:

  1. Gosh 31 is very hot, think the highest we've had here, at it was 2 years ago was 32 degrees and it was stifling, have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. Yep, we reached 32 here today. I was out for a bit in the morning but then "hiding" indoors again the rest of the day... Seems the heat will break over the weekend, though - and then probably lots of rain instead...

      Delete
  2. How amazing! They take good care of their residents. It is so much fun! And your sprinkler photos are so beautiful. The water droplets are literally hanging in the air!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, today on my early morning walk I did pass close enough to a couple of sprinklers to catch a few drops... ;)

      Delete
  3. Through my current frosty mornings and frosty evenings, I think quite fondly of the summer heat which I hated at the time. I LOVE the flamingo sprinkler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it works the other way round as well - i.e. the idea of a frosty morning seems quite tempting to me just now! ;)

      Delete
  4. We've rarely had days below 30C in weeks, so I know exactly what you mean about spending the day indoors with the blinds down !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, I was out between 8 - 9:15 today and then shut myself in again. My weather apps tell me we reached 32C this afternoon. Luckily the nights have been a bit cooler so I've managed to keep the indoors temp down to around 27...

      Delete
  5. What a great idea for seniors to have the sprinkler flamingo treatment! Kids here usually have a splash pad where intermittent spurts of water shoot up from a shallow concrete basin, but it’s been waiting for parts to repair it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, we have a couple of water features like that in the city centre (with water shooting up from the ground). Perhaps primarily for decorative purpose (and providing a soothing sound of running water) but kids also love playing there when it's hot.

      Delete
  6. The flamingo fountain certainly looks like a cheerful way to beat the heat, but with temperatures climbing into the 30s, staying indoors with the fans running seems like the wisest choice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ro, with the general global warming in mind, I'd say that to increase budgets to make it possible to install proper air conditioning in such places would be a better solution... Even if only needed for a couple of months in summer!

      Delete
  7. It is far too hot for me here in London. The heat never seems to disappear as the buildings seem to retain it. My bedroom is West-facing, so the sun is on it all afternoon right up until about 8 in the evening. Consequently, even once I can open the window at sundown, the room never cools below 32C at midnight! I quite like that idea of the flamingo fountain. Our water companies are already imposing hosepipe bans in some areas, despite all the rain we have had during the winter right up until May!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Addy, that sounds horrible to me. My flat gets much too hot for my liking in a heatwave as well, but at least I have the advantage of my flat running through the building (bedroom and kitchen NE, living room and study SW) - and also the buildings here being rather far apart, with generous lawns in between. I keep trying to remind myself that it could be a lot worse...
      The heat is about to break here now, but that will mean heavy rain showers and thunder over the weekend instead. So I won't dare leave any windows or the balcony door ajar tonight...

      Delete
  8. that flamingo sprinkler is a super idea! fun and cooling, even fun to look at.. we used to as children, in the hot summer time when temps are much higher than yours now, play in the yard with the hose, taking turns holding the hose for others to run through...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, on Thursday I did not bother to avoid getting splashed by the sprinklers in the cemetery... On Friday (and still today) it was time to start trying to avoid getting drenched by sudden thunder showers, though!

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...