Autumn equinox this week, and in nature, autumn colours are also taking over more and more here now. (The photo above + the next four following below are from today.)
![]() |
| Fly Agaric |
At home, I took in one of my two pelargoniums (geraniums) from the balcony yesterday - and will probably soon be taking in the other one too. (In the photo below you see them both!) Just now the weather is still rather mild and cloudy/rainy - but next time we get a clear sky, frosty nights may also be just round the corner...
On Monday I walked into town with my mind set on looking for an autumn/winter skirt. Found it in the first shop I stepped into! It looks/feels like suede, but is actually made from synthetic recycled fabric - so is also lighter than it looks. And the plum colour matches well with several other items in my wardrobe.
To continue the discussion from my Monday post about The Little House on the Prairie, today (getting back in from my walk in the afternoon) I decided to start over with episode 3 of the new Netflix series (which I left unfinished back in July, to dive into the books instead...) Alas, I have to say I still just don't take to it! It's not just the "story"... the characters/actors just don't feel "right" to me either...
It struck me that this was a lot like how I also felt last winter after having watched the new TV version of the Forsytes - and then ended up not only re-reading that series of books, but also seeking out the old b&w TV series on YouTube, and watching that in full!
... So now I went looking for the old Little House series on YouTube as well... I watched the first half hour of the very first long pilot episode - and immediately felt "at home" (lol)... Remains to be seen whether that will lead me to continue to re-watch more of the old series on YouTube rather than continue on the Netflix version!!
UPDATE (24 Sept): I have now watched the whole pilot episode on YouTube; that one is available full length (about 1½ hour) with a few commercials inserted. The rest of the Little House videos on YouTube seem to be just shorter "snippets" though, and not full length episodes. So I'm not going to try to lay that puzzle! ;)






.jpg)
I love the color of your skirt. The mushroom is beautiful, and I love the colors in the bush.
ReplyDeleteThanks Ginny. It's one of my favourite colours, especially in autumn/winter.
DeleteI guess that autumn comes to central Sweden a bit earlier than it comes to South Yorkshire but even here the nights are getting longer and the leaves in the trees are starting to change colour. Another fine day is scheduled for tomorrow with temperatures around 20/21 centigrade. Nice skirt but it would have been better shorter I think - like a mini skirt.
ReplyDeleteMini skirts don't keep the legs warm in Swedish autumn/winter!
DeleteRiver is right! And I'm 71, not 17... ;)
DeleteOn the TV series "Little House..." I agree that the original offered an idealized family situation, where I soon felt I wanted to live around the corner, down the road from those folks. Same happened watching the Waltons...and often I found myself crying at the beauty of the plots and relationships...romantic ideals well played by good acting...they were like good novels, and when in re-runs, I got to enjoy them more often again and again.
ReplyDeleteBarbara, the Waltons wasn't on TV here until much later than in the US (and probably on some cable channel). I don't think it ever got as popular here as The Little House. I think I may have watched some episodes but I hardly remember more than the title now.
DeleteA fly agaric! You wouldn't find one here in town, but we have come across them on our hikes both in Austria earlier this month and in the Black Forest closer to home.
ReplyDeleteThe skirt is perfect for autumn, a great find!
Meike, this one grew in the old cemetery. Not unusual to find some popping up there, in rainy autumn weather. Not always looking as fairy-tale photogenic as this one, though!
DeleteWhenever I try to watch a show on youtube all I get is a few minutes, never a full episode. Do I have to pay to get the whole thing? If that's the case I will do without.
ReplyDeleteI love watching the mix of colours when the trees change.Your new skirt is lovely. I still find it hard to believe that pelargoniums/geraniums have to be brought inside in the northern hemisphere. Down her in Australia they live in gardens, either in pots or in the soil and thrive all year round. And we propogate by simply breaking off a bit and poking that into the soil and waiting. And watering too of course.
River, the long pilote episode seems to be there in full anyway (even if I only watched the first 30 min of it so far). I haven't really checked out the rest yet. Last winter I did find the whole of the original b&w Forsytes series for free, though.
DeletePelargoniums definitely wouldn't survive the winter on my balcony. They don't usually like the indoors winter climate in my flat either, though. I usually end up buying new ones in spring. Haven't really got neither space nor energy for much repotting etc these days.
Update (for River, and whoever else might be interested): I have now watched the whole pilot episode, that was available full length (about 1½ hour), with a few commercials inserted. The rest of the Little House videos on YouTube - although there are a lot of them! - seem to be just shorter "snippets" though, and not full length episodes. So I'm not going to try to lay that puzzle! ;)
DeleteLove the autumn beauty truly
ReplyDeleteThanks Ro.
DeleteSo many beautiful colours
ReplyDelete