Thursday 20 March 2014

That’s A Lot of Postcards

RU-2413220

(Postcrossing card from Russia, received 17 February 2014)

I’m still writing and receiving a lot of postcrossing cards, and enjoying it. Having been involved in this for about ten months, I’m coming close to 200 cards exchanged any day now (not including private swaps).

I still have enough inherited stamps to keep me going for a good while yet, I think! My “problem” is finding a good variety of local or “typically Swedish” cards to send. I realise this is mostly my problem though - as all the postcrossing cards go to different recipients all over the world, it wouldn’t really matter much if I just bought a hundred of copies of the same card and sent the same one to everyone. (Especially since Sweden is a small country with few postcrossers.)

So it’s really mostly for my own sake that I like a bit of variety – and get quite happy if the recipient in his/her profile states that they prefer something different than a typical tourist view!

The thing is that the number of tourist view postcards to be found in the local shops is rather limited. And to find views of other towns than my own, it seems I would have to go to each of those places to buy them. And since I never go anywhere (well, not lately, anyway!), and since most postcrossers don’t want home-made cards, I’m pretty much stuck with a limited number of views of Borås, and a few odd elks and cows:

SE-55769 CHVästergötlandHälsning från Borås

Okay, perhaps I’m exaggerating just a little bit! Winking smile
(Sometimes one has to, for literary purpose, right?)
However, I did notice the other day that my stock of elks, cows and local greetings was running low. So when next in town, I popped into the bookshop to see what they had to offer in that department. I did find a few different ones that might look exotic enough (at least to people living in far-off countries that I myself find exotic) and decided to buy a few of each.

Behind the counter stood a young man. I put down my bunch of cards (twenty) in front of him. He took up the cards, started to spread them out to count them, and then kind of just stopped in the movement, stared at me and said: “That’s a lot of postcards!”

“Twenty,” said I. Without going into the whole story  of Postcrossing, which might have made me miss my bus.

“Twenty,” said he (except we both spoke Swedish, of course) and entered the number into the cash register without any further checking. Evidently he was in shock.

For all I know, he might just now be writing a blog post about the woman who came into the shop today and bought twenty (20!) postcards. In the bleak month of March; and she was not even a foreign tourist!

9 comments:

  1. the postcard with the cows looks familiar! :-) it is fun sending and receiving postcards from around the world. very interesting. stamps are fun also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so funny. Not being involved in Postcrossing I don't buy many postcards but when I do the assumption is always made that I'm a tourist and I'm looked at oddly when I say that I'm local in reply to being asked where I've come from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In spite of Postcrossing trying to conquer the world, it is probably getting more and more rare even for tourists to buy lots of postcards to send home these days! I noticed just recently that our only proper cards shop in town (they also sold picture frames) had gone out of business. So now there are even fewer places where I can buy cards locally.

      Delete
  3. Then maybe someone who comments on the young man's blog has heard of postcrossing, and will tell him they think the woman bought those 20 cards for just that purpose :-)
    Strange that many postrcossers don't want home-made cards. Aren't those the loveliest ones for being most individual? And I can imagine that whoever is so creative as to make their own cards can also easily add a local touch to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a collector's thing, Meike. If it's not properly published/printed, to some collectors it does not "count" as a collectible item. I do sometimes use my own photos for postcards, with a self-adhesive postcard back side. Especially if I know I have a good picture that matches the recipient's wishes in some other way. But not if they specifically state in their profile that they don't like home-made cards.

      Delete
  4. I missed you!!! I love the adorable Russian owls! And that is a cute story. I guess not many people buy postcards anymore because of e-mail and the computer. I would miss them if they go away. My favorites here are the purple flowers with the barn, and giant Pinocchio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've missed you too Ginny. Welcome back to the Blogworld. :)

      Delete
  5. I agree with Meike that generally home-made ones demonstrate an extra effort but I have had one or two that were little more than a picture from a magazine stuck on a piece of card so I can sympathise with those who ask not to receive them.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...