Thursday 21 July 2016

Good Fences – Lynx

Yesterday I had a kind of weird start to my day: In spite of sunny weather setting in (after weeks of mostly rainy), I slept so late that breakfast became more like brunch! … After which I thought I had better do something more memorable with what remained of the day; so I decided to go to the zoo again (making use of the season pass I bought on my first visit earlier in the summer).

This time, I made a new acquaintance: The lynx. They’re usually hard to catch sight of, even in our zoo, as they have  been allotted rather a large piece of woodland to hide in.

CIMG9003

However, this time I happened to arrive at feeding time, when a member of staff was throwing meat over the fence for them.

CIMG9000

One rather big piece landed up in a tree, and – humans watching or not – that was obviously just too tempting to resist.

CIMG8997

I must be able…

CIMG8998

… to get that down somehow …

CIMG8999

Gotcha!!!

CIMG9002

And now off to enjoy the prey somewhere more private, out of sight from all these people…

The Eurasian lynx is the third largest predator in Europe after the brown bear and the grey wolf. It is a strict carnivore, consuming about one or two kilograms of meat every day. --- The lynx hunts by stalking and jumping its prey, helped by the rugged, forested country in which it resides. A favorite prey for the lynx in its woodland habitat is roe deer. It will feed however on whatever animal appears easiest --- [Wikipedia]

 

Good Fences

10 comments:

  1. i just love each one of these photos, they make me happy to watch the Linx . so glad you got there at just the right time. one of these he appears to be peeking out at us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really had no idea myself what the photos might come out like, as I was standing at the back of a crowd and zooming in... and that animal moves way faster than my camera clicks!

      Delete
  2. I had no idea they are the third largest predator! I like the polka dots on his leg, very fancy. Good climbing shots! Imagine no one dares enter; smart to throw the food over the fence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never seen. It's a big one. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These series of photos must have made your day! Excellent, you can be proud of them! Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, look at that! beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynx are beautiful creatures but I don't think there are many left in the wild. I seem to remember having read about efforts to re-establish them in what used to be their natural habitat, but it's tricky, same as with wolves - there just aren't large enough uninterrupted areas of woodland around anymore for them to live there without being dangerous to farm animals and people. As for people, I know it's the other way round; we are infinitely more dangerous to them than they are to us! Hence the good fence is needed to protect the Lynx from visitors...
    Great shots, my favourite is the first one. On the second one, I want to touch the soft fur on the cat's belly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beauty! I really like the first shot of him peeping through the bushes. You got some fabulous shots of him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Talk about great timing. How fun to see the Lynx, such a pretty cat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone for your comments! (Sorry, I've hardly been spending any time at the computer the past week. We got hit by another heat wave...)

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...