Thursday 10 January 2019

A Winter Walk in the Park

190110 Götaparken mobil collage

In English, “a walk in the park” is supposed to mean “a task or activity that is easy or effortless to accomplish”. In winter, the definition might need some adjustment… ;-)

190108 snowstorm

We had our first snowstorm of the year here in the night between Tuesday and Wednesday. We did not actually get all that much snow, but I could see from my windows yesterday that it was still very windy. I had a lot of indoor things to do that day anyway (including laundry), so didn’t go out. Today was cold but sunny, and the wind had calmed down; so I ventured out for a while around noon. As the streets were icy and I didn’t really need to go anywhere special, I just went for a  slow walk around the park very close to where I live (more to be out for a while in the daylight than for “exercise”). Even so, I took one of my Nordic walking poles for extra security… It wasn’t all that slippery actually, but the statue of the boy on the turtle is still a good illustration of how I always feel about walking on icy streets! At the same time, though, the white snow does brighten things up a bit.

7 comments:

  1. I think the bicycle is my favorite, the turtle is really cute to.. I am so glad at my age I don't have to deal with walking on slick surfaces. my friend fell really hard at the beach last week, so even sand is a danger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, when I fell a couple of years ago and hurt my elbow it was summer and probably because of a tricky curb. One never knows! ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, I am not able to choose a favorite! They are all truly beautiful in their own way! Walking in the part with snow on the ground, a nice thing indeed. A slow walk for sure.

    Have a great evening!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. so the schools were out? I can't remember if you are still driving. I especially love the frost picture,you are always the Queen Of frost!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, not sure why you think the schools would be out. They may have been in other areas of Sweden where the recent storms hit harder. Here, we had maybe an inch of snow and no power outage or anything like that. Just some warnings to "be careful out there"... I'm not driving; I haven't been behind a steering wheel since the 90s and never had a car of my own.

      Delete
  4. It is wise to catch regular doses of daylight, Monica, and also wise to provide yourself with adequate equipment when venturing out in the snow. It has been snowing again here since Wednesday; nothing like the masses they struggle with in Bavaria, but enough to make road traffic difficult.
    As for the definition of a "walk in the park", I think along the same lines every time the term "space walk" is used. If you'd ask the astronauts, they'd tell you that it is anything but a "walk" - usually, between 6 and 8 hours of strenuous work in the most dangerous conditions man can encounter! The proper term EVA (extra-vehicular activity) fits it much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raining here again today, Meike, and the little snow there was is gone. Winter in southern Sweden is very fickle...

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...