Thursday 31 October 2019

Halloween

I've just been scrolling through a number of "Halloweens Past" on my blog (with a nod to Dickens and his Christmas Carol)... 


Those of you who have been following me here for a while probably remember by now that in Sweden, the 'Halloween' traditions are not so much focused on pumpkins and scary costumes and collecting candy, but more on the All Saints' Day /weekend being a time for visiting the family graves, with winter decorations and candles. 

Comparing my blog photos from around Halloween over some years, one of my conclusions is that autumn seems to be further along this year than it's been in a while. The blast of autumn colours is over: Most of the leaves have already dropped to the ground, leaving bare branches silhouetted against the sky. And the last couple of mornings, the ground has been covered with frost.

Today was another cold morning, but also very still; and towards noon, the clouds lifted and the sun broke through. I decided it was a good day for a walk to the large cemetery where my maternal grandparents' grave is (and one or two others from mum's side of the family). It's on the outskirts of town, but "on a good day" within walking distance from where I live. (As it happens, I might be going again on Saturday, if my aunt and uncle come by. But one of the things in life one cannot plan is the weather...)

 
This cemetery covers a huge area with varied kinds of landscape. The kinds of headstones used also vary from one section to another. My grandparents' grave is on top of a little hill, and their stone lies flat on the ground. (This sometimes makes it tricky to find, as it tends to get covered with leaves and needles falling down on it from the trees above... The branches half-covering it just now are the winter decorations, though!)




Other sections of the cemetery have standing stones like these.





The reflections on the lake show both how still it was on this day; but also that most of the deciduous trees have already dropped all their leaves. 







  




If you'd like to compare photos from a more colourful Halloween visit to the same cemetery, try 2015. ;)

Weekend Reflections

10 comments:

  1. The tree reflections are beautiful. They look like Birch. Is this lake near the cemetery? The cemetery is quite lovely. I think your way of celebrating Halloween is so much more meaningful than our silly monster mash of ghoulies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Ginny - some of the trees are birches. And the lake and the little waterfall are both within the cemetery. But the river in the last image I pass over on my way there (and back).

      Delete
  2. I do have a thing for cemeteries, especially when they are not brand new and when trees and shrubs have already had enough time to grow.
    Here in Germany, Halloween has become more and more commercial over the past 20 years or so; in my childhood, it was only the families of American military stationed here who did anything at all on Halloween. Now you see Halloween-related products in the shops for weeks before, and parties and children in costumes all over town. My doorbell is never rung, as I live in "second row" from the street and my front door is not easy to spot if you don't know it is there. Suits me!
    Steve would have been 51 yesterday. That has largely dominated my thoughts.

    Today, "Allerheiligen" (All Saints), Catholics visit the cemeteries. At O.K.'s village, the vicar goes to bless all the graves, the community sings a few songs and prays togehter, and the village band plays. Rain is forecast for around that hour, but I hope everyone (esp. the band with their instruments, who can not hold umbrellas while playing) won't get too wet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, here too we have seen more of the 'American' kind of Halloween in later decades. Personally I still don't really have the impression of those traditions taking over, though. At least I have not seen any kids in my neighbourhood going trick-or-treating. Both the 31st (Thursday) and Friday night were quiet here (and today as well). But, come to think of it, quite a few families around here now are Muslim... And they probably do not "do" Halloween! And adding to that the fact that I live close to two of our city's cemeteries... That tradition I see all the more of!

      Delete
  3. I have always liked old cemeteries and have been in quite a few, but none of them like this one. this is possibly the most beautiful one I have ever seen...as a child, there was nothing about Halloween in stores, no commercializing of the day. it meant mother made a homemade costume and we got free candy from the neighbors. now they start months ahead and homes are decorating with lights like Chrismtas. for me personally it is just another day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, in my childhood the trick-and-treating at Halloween was unheard of (although I may have come across it in children's books translated from English). All Saints was a very sombre holiday. We had traditions connected to Easter Eve that reminded a bit of your Halloween though.

      Delete
  4. To be honest Halloween didn't figure at all here on Lewis so far as I could see apart from some pumpkins in the supermarkets. Like others here I have always had a 'thing' about old cemeteries. They can be such interesting and peaceful places allowing a lot of reflection of what has been (for the old) and what might have been (for so many young bodies).

    I notice that I didn't comment on the 2015 post. I presumably didn't read it because I'm sure I'd have commented upon the Alchemilla mollis that can be so beautiful bur also ugly and a scourge once it gets a hold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, for the last 11 years I've been living so close to one old cemetery that I can hardly walk anywhere at all without going either across, along or around it. And still I often choose to go walking there just for exercise and reflection as well. Perhaps making up for all the previous years of my life when my visits to graveyards were rather sparse!

      Delete
  5. It looks like a lovely tidy well kept place along with peaceful and quiet. I wouldn't mind living next door to a cemetery, they would be the quietest neighbours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, if I hesitate to walking in the cemetery in the dark, it certainly has nothing to do with those resting in their graves... ;)

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...