Monday 18 October 2021

Keep Walkin', Part 2 - Street Views

 Continued from Part 1, last week

From the woodland park that was not showing off quite as much autumn colour as I had hoped, I turned into a street leading towards the Culture Center (library, art museum and theatre). There are some impressive big old houses in that part of town.


I've always liked old houses with towers and odd angles etc. I remember thinking when I was younger that I'd like to live in a house with a tower... Now I'm not so sure I'd really like climbing all the inevitable stairs, though!

 

This entrance door caught my attention - especially with the rag rug in front!

I like the bay window, too. Never had one of those either!


Nice autumn colours in the trees along this street.

 

This is (part of) a upper secondary school (senior high school). Although I did not live here back in my school years, I actually did go to this school for six months later in life, attending a medical secretary training course. 

The biggest church in town is nearby, built ~1906. It has been on this blog before.

Ryttaren - The Rider
Sculpture by Sven-Erik Johansson

 Not one of my favourite sculptures (too odd for my taste). But the artist (1925-2020, born in Borås) is quite famous for his rather eerie paintings and sculptures.


The Culture Center. I went inside for a bit, but the Art museum turned out to be currently closed, preparing for a new exhibition.

A mural revisited on the way back.
I don't remember its title or artist.

 

15 comments:

  1. Love Those beautiful doors but not the rag rug in front of them and I love the bay windows and have always wanted them but at my age now could not handle keeping them clean but I did want them when I was younger. You do live in a spectacular and beautiful town I love all the big houses in the tall buildings and last but not least the mural looks like Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Sandra, yes, that guy does resemble your Bob! :) And you're right about the bay windows - the older we get, I guess the more the practical aspects come into what we prefer!!

      Delete
  2. The second house is my favorite, with those two strange towers in the front. Almost like they are elevators. It may be apartments? And the big yellow house...it that TWO yellow houses? If so, they are SO close together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, I'm not sure what you mean, but yes, there were two yellow houses next to one another - the one with the turrets is featured in photo 2, the one with the porch in photo 6. As for the turrets I'm sure they're not elevators - possibly staircases but just as likely just like bay windows. I imagine it's a house that may well have been through a few changes in its lifetime, but as I don't know its history, I can only guess.

      Delete
  3. I have always admired houses with towers, turrets and balconies, but at my age I like my house which is all on one level. Your town of Boras is a center of art, and I like the styles of art you have shared here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terra, I think the older the get, the more we probably think of the practical aspects of our living arrangements :)

      Delete
  4. Bay windows, towers, turrets... I love that on a house, and always wished to live in a villa or small castle/palace when I was younger :-) Now I am more into my creature comforts and am glad about my flat here, close to the train station and supermarket, with central heating and a modern bathroom.
    The yellow house especially is what in my eyes makes a typical Swedish well-to-do townhouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, in Borås we don't have a lot of old wooden houses preserved because of three big fires in previous centuries. So those that we still have tend to stand out even more :)

      Delete
  5. It's nice to see new (to me) houses in your town. They are so grand, a glimpse into the past, I wonder if any of them are still privately owned or are they now home to several families? Glad you are getting out and about while the weather allows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to take advantage of the sunny days, Pauline - although I do usually try to get out for a short walk even when it's not quite so tempting.

      Delete
  6. What perfect weather for your walk, and beautiful photos on a crisp autumn day. The buildings are so well kept, as are the public places. It looks as though the residents of the building with the rag rug by the door are excessively house proud and like to keep their entrance hall free from muddy foot prints! Not a bad idea in winter weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunny autumn days are my favourite kind of weather for walking, CG :)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful houses in your town. I use to like big houses until I lived in one and literally had to drag the vacuum upstairs all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I get that... Every time I watch house-hunting shows (and I love watching those, esp from Britain) I wonder if they ever think of how much time and effort they'll have to put into cleaning those big country houses!

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...