Friday 1 October 2021

World Postcard Day (1 October)

It's 1st October, and WORLD POSTCARD DAY - hooray!

Postcards were introduced as an alternative to letters in 1869; which means they have now been in use for 152 years. (You can read more about the history of postcards here.)

Did you know? And have you  been celebrating??

I write quite a few postcards all year round, but today I posted these four Postcrossing cards for World Postcard Day. They're off to India, Italy, China, and Russia. The ones to far off countries like Russia, China and India often take a long time to travel, and it is always a bit of a gamble whether they'll arrive at all. But that's part of the excitement! 

I joined Postcrossing in 2013, initially because I had inherited a lot of stamps that were still good for use, and I felt it would be more fun to send them off into the world than to just keep them (or sell them). And it has been! - even if in retrospect, I realise that just collecting stamps would require a lot less storage space than collecting postcards. ;) On the other hand: Every postcard comes with an individual story of some kind, as behind every postcard there is a living person. And for me, that is what makes it exciting. 

10 comments:

  1. Your selection of postcards are beautiful (Boras) and cute (the others). I do enjoy my friendship with you, across the mighty Atlantic Ocean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terra. Yes, starting a correspondence across the ocean in the midst of a pandemic has been quite a postal adventure too, hasn't it! Our first cards took a very long time to travel! ;)

      Delete
  2. I didn’t know it was World postcard Day and I collect them.Mainly British Edwardian and local history.
    What is this scheme you are in?
    Barbarax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Deleting X repetitions of this comment but deciding to assume that was unintended...) To learn more about Postcrossing, click on the link in my post, or go to https://www.postcrossing.com/about. Basically, it's a website through which you can exchange postcards with strangers. You get as many cards back as you send - but from different people.

      Delete
  3. This Barbara hopes only one comment will post. I've got a few postcards that were my mother's, which a friend mailed to her from England before WW II. I'll have to dig them out one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, my collection of postcards consists of postcards "saved" rather than "collected". Besides those from friends and family during my own lifetime, I also have two old pc albums from two half-siblings of my grandmother's who emigrated from Sweden to America in the early 1900s. I'm exploring those (and related family history and photos) in my blog 'Greetings from the Past'. You'll find a link in the sidebar of this blog. (Postings on that blog tend to be periodic rather than regular.)

      Delete
  4. I didn't know there is a postcard day! These are nice ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny. It is through Postcrossing that I get reminded of the World Postcard Day :)

      Delete
  5. I have to say that I didn't know that that was the date for the start of post cards although I must have learned it from CJ's writings and blogs over the years. I have hundreds of post cards from my earlier life but in recent decades almost all my correspondence has been by letter or photocard although I to have a remarkably full box of cards from friends received over the more recent years. Indeed one arrived yesterday. Remarkable as it was dated 27 September and, presumably, posted that day too. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it seems I managed to send one that actually arrived at its destination on World Postcard Day too! :)

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...