Thursday 4 August 2022

Forests, Trolls, more Art, and another Church

 Wednesday, 13 July

 


For my last day in Värmland, I suggested a drive to Arvika, and an art museum there which I'd visited once or twice in the past - but long ago, and not with my brother. As he's the driver, I left the planning of how to get there to him. To drive via Årjäng may have been intentional - but an extra detour across the border to Norway was not... (I've roughly marked our route - as it turned out - on the map above.)

As we planned to have lunch at the museum in Arvika, we only made a short stop in Årjäng to say hello to the Great Big Troll that lives there. It's 8 m high and the feet measure 3,5 m. (Kids can slide down its tail behind its back.)


 I also spotted a mural of another troll-like creature - and I'm still wondering about the golden key!


We had happened to park our car near a mysterious building, reminding of a Roman palace -  probably an old cinema - and when we got back there, there was also a rather posh car parked right in front of it, begging for attention from my camera...


That's about as much as we saw of Årjäng, before driving on - as we thought - towards Arvika. The way there just seemed to get longer and longer, though - until suddenly, to our surprise, we found ourselves crossing the border to Norway. And that - as I already said above - was not in the plan! We were driving without GPS because my brother had problems with the battery in his phone; and we must have taken a wrong turn somewhere - probably already when leaving Årjäng... Luckily, I did have my Swedish road atlas in my 'car bag' - and for the rest of the trip, I kept that open on my lap, double-checking every turn! ;-)

After some further adventures on small roads through the Wermlandian forests...


... we finally did arrive at Rackstadmuseet in Arvika, in the middle of a rain shower...
(I took the exterior photos later, when we left, rather than on our arrival.)


We started our visit with having lunch in their café, before doing anything else!

From the Museum's web site:

The activities of Rackstad Museum have their origin in the artist Christian Eriksson, whose father ran a small farm and a furniture business. 

The Rackstad colony was a group of friends, all artists – including Gustav and Maja Fjæstad, Bjorn Ahlgrensson and Fritz Lindström - who were active in the area around the turn of the century 1900.

The driving force for young artists of the time was a nationalistic romantic longing for nature and the environment and costumes of country folk, as well as a search for light, darkness and sadness. Another important reason for living in a rural area was the opportunity for cheap accommodation and access to food.

Rackstad museum combines local art history and craftsmanship with contemporary art and craft - locally, nationally and internationally.

Bottom left: Girl by water. Oil 115x178 cm by Gustaf Fjaestad.

Värmland/River Klarälven, landscape by Fritz Lindström (1922)

 

Diana. Sculpture by Christian Eriksson (1912)

Paintbox that belonged to the artist Ture Ander;
and his painting of Lake Racken from 1942.

 

Winter, 1917 - Oil 107x145 cm by Gustaf Fjaestad
(scanned from postcard)

Cupboard by Carl Westman. Copper/tin items by Lisa Morell.



More rain hit us on our way back to Karlstad, and cut our next stop shorter than intended.

In Brunskog, there is an outdoors museum of old buildings, where in summer they also show and deomonstrate various old-fashioned arts and crafts - especially during one week of a big event known as Gammelvala = 'The Old World'.  That was not the same week as my Värmland holiday, though; and considering the weather, we gave the old cottages a miss, and just went up to have a look at the church.


 It's a beautiful church, and I have memories of attending a friend's wedding there once.

 




From there, straight back home - to a nice warm cup of tea!

It's quite common here these days to find special tea-blends in the souvenir shops at famous places, and that's a kind of souvenir we both enjoy buying on our trips - to prolong the holiday feel into the autumn... These are the three that I bought on this trip. To the left, a black blackberry tea from Rottneros Park. In the middle, a green tea with strawberry and lime, from Mårbacka. To the right, a red bush (rooibos) tea with bergamot and lime from the Rackstad Museum.

 

14 comments:

  1. The furniture is gorgeous! And very iteresting modern art behind the church pulpit. The trool is so cool! Can you go inside, then climb up to stand on that scaffolding porch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, it does look like that platform may be used as a stage. Most likely not possible for just anyone to go inside and climb up there, though.

      Delete
  2. Looked like a great day out to the museum which looked interesting but the church was beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Billy. As I did visit a few churches on my holiday trip this summer, I checked to see if 'Inspired Sunday' was still open - but I see it has been closed. For my own part it's been three years since I was last out travelling, due to the pandemic, so haven't had anything new to share on that specific topic for a while. Glad you found your way here anyway! :-)

      Delete
  3. the church at the end is spectacular and I love the chandelier lights in that church. love the teapots and cups and glad you had he atlas. I have never in my life spent any time alone with my brother. I just realized that, not as a child, teen or since then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, this was probably our longest holiday together yet (as adults, and only the two of us), but then we had 2½ "corona years" to make up for... :-)

      Delete
  4. What fun to just wander into Norway, and back to find your planned destination. I loved the winter painting most. And the beautifully crafted furniture, and simple teapots and cups and saucers. The altar of the church was very striking in its modernity...and the whole church has simple and elegant lines everywhere. Thanks so much for taking me along for this vacation! I'll enjoy a cup of tea now also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for following my holiday flashbacks, Barbara! ;-)

      Delete
  5. A surprise trip across the border even! Good job you did not have to be anywhere at a specific time and were able to (sort of) enjoy the detour.
    The museum looks fascinating, wonderful art and objects there.
    I also love that church, it looks very well kept, as if it is home to a lively community.
    Not so sure about the tea blends; I am not keen on green tea or roiboosh, but love bergamot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, when in relaxed holiday mode, we usually try to take take a humourous approach to our mistakes. Our "trip across the border" may go to history as the shortest trip abroad ever: A few minutes spent in the car on the customs parking lot on the Norwegian side; consulting the map to figure out how to get back on track... (LOL) Well, at least there were no corona restrictions in place at the moment!!
      As for tea, in general I prefer black tea, but as I have some sleeping problems at night, I find green or red teas better for me in the evening - and have grown to quite like some of those blends too (including the ones I bought now).

      Delete
  6. So many familiar names and another museum I missed out seeing! What a wonderful place it is. I love the ceramics and artwork. The picture of Winter is one we had on a Christmas card from Swedish friends many years ago.
    One church I do remember seeing was at Ekshärad, fairly far north, with the beautiful wrought-iron crosses marking the graves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CG, I don't think I've ever been to Ekshärad. Maybe something to consider for another year! :-)

      Delete
  7. I would like to visit the trolls, they look very friendly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, they certainly didn't seem like the scary kind! :)

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...