Monday 14 November 2022

Queuing

 

Last week, I didn't get another chance to go across town for the drop-in flu vaccination. (Wednesday was Laundry Day, Thursday Dentist Day, and Friday Food Delivery Day. Plus it was rainy all week.) Today it wasn't raining, and I decided I had to grab the opportunity. It did require an effort, though! 

First, I spent about an hour online trying to solve the mysteries of the buses. The printed time table I had did not match the one that I (at last) found online. And when I tried the online search app (supposed to be simple, but it really isn't...) that did not seem to match either of them. So I just had to take a chance, and decided to trust the latest PDF timetable. (It seems they adjusted the times from 1st November, which probably explains why I "missed" the bus last week.) To be of the safe side, I also gave myself a margin with the time I needed to walk to the railway station to take that bus. 

Not to write a whole novel, the result to day was: 15 min walk from home to the railway  station. Nearly 15 min waiting for the bus. 10 min on the bus. 10 min walk from where I got off that bus to my destination (the current vaccination centre). I arrived almost on the dot when they opened today, i.e. at 13:00 (1 p.m.) .... to be met by a long queue gathered already. (Not too much of a surprise. By the look of it, nearly everyone 65+. I guess the others probably did not like the thought of outdoors queuing in the rain last week any more than I did.) 45 min in the queue to reach the door. 5 min for the vaccination itself (including paperwork and clothes off and on etc - and 1 minute sitting down for the actual jab). After that, I had another errand to a "tech" shop nearby for a few purchases (various cords and bulbs and whatnot for the upcoming Christmas season) - 20 min. Coming out of there, I decided I probably wouldn't really save much time (or even effort) on trying to catch another 10 min bus ride part of the way back. So I just walked all the way home: another 45 min. Which means the whole adventure took 2 hr 45 min; out of which I was on my feet (walking or standing) about 2 hr 35 min... (phew)

Yes, I was tired when I got home. But at least it didn't rain; and now it's done; and hopefully it'll be a while before I need to visit that part of town again!

12 comments:

  1. Good grief! All I can think of is I wish I was in shape like you!! Your energy is amazing, I can barely walk around the house now. So what brand of Covid shot did you get?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginny, the vaccination wasn't against covid this time, but seasonal flu. (Been taking those for 20 years...) For covid I've had 2xAstra, 2xModerna, 1xPfizer so far. (Last one a month ago, so should be a few months now until I need yet another!) With covid they've all been booked appointments, no queues to speak of. Wish they had kept that system with the flu jab as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The day you describe would have exhausted me, physically and emotionally, I loathe long queues. Happily on Friday here in California our local pharmacy/drug store has walk in to get the flu vax, so I did that. No appointment, wait and no line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terra I hate queues as well. In this case no way to predict when I'd be most likely to avoid it. But tried to choose a day and time when I felt prepared to endure it... As for the getting there and back, our bus connections within the city have been a mess all this year because they're in the process of reconstructing the square where different bus lines used to meet. (Sigh.)

      Delete
  4. You know how much I enjoy walking, but queuing is definitely NOT my favourite way of being on my feet!
    My flu jab is due this Thursday. It is my first flu jab ever, and I hope I won't have too many side effects; there is plenty I want to do on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, I can only agree, on the walking vs standing/queuing... Which is why I chose to walk back home (realizing I'd otherwise probably just be standing waiting for buses for about the same time anyway...) Good luck with your flu jab. The first times I got them I did feel a bit "off" for a day or two, but in later years I've rarely felt anything at all. (And most important, they've been a good protection against serious colds and flu.)

      Delete
  5. You must be very relieved that you're now up to date with your jabs and won't have to worry over the winter.
    I wish the Farmacias here had drop in for flu vaccinations - it would make life so much simpler for many of us. Instead, we all have to go to the single local health centre, which serves to entire town - a fluctuating population of around 23,000! I've lost count of the hours I've spent queueing - that's after I've managed to find a parking space and a long walk up to the centre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CG, yes I'm glad to have it over with. I used to get the flu jabs at my local health care centre (which is in the town centre) but that changed with the pandemic and the covid vaccine, which was coordinated to one big centre (also used for flu vacc). Hopefully they'll go back to normal routines next year. I read they'll be closing the big vacc centre soon, but decided to first also again use it for this year's flu vacc. (This month they're just doing those, no covid.)

      Delete
  6. it is great you can walk that far and that long, not sure if I could do that. to get our flu shot, made appt, for 2 of us, drive 5 minutes, park and walk in, 10 minutes and out, no clothes removed, not sure why you had to. we just walk to the counter, get jabbed in the arm and leave. fill out one piece of paper each.. the whole thing including travel time was under 20 minutes. Bob can only walk short distances, probalby not even to the bus. Americans need to walk more for sure. so glad you got the flu shot, several people have said it is really nasty this year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, good that your flu shot was better organized! I'm laughing at your comment about the clothes... You forget it's winter here... We're asked to wear short sleeved tops for the vaccination, but on top of that I had a zip-up sweater and on top of that a padded winter coat... And similar for everyone else, even those who perhaps came vy car; or else we'd not been able to cope with the 45 minutes in queue outside...! So before getting the injection, at least one, most likely two layers of clothes to remove for all of us...

      Delete
  7. 2 hours in town for me is like an all day trip and once I'm home I'm tired as. It's good you got the timetable sorted out for you, I don't know how people manage catching the bus when they don't have internet access.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Amy! We used to be able to fetch printed time tables at the travel centre, nowadays one can't even do that.

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...