Sunday 20 November 2022

The Railway Murders - Book Review

 

The Railway Murders (A Yorkshire Murder Mystery Book 8) by [J. R. Ellis] 

The Railway Murders
A Yorkshire Murder Mystery #8

by J.R. Ellis (2022)
Audible narration by Michael Page, 8:15 h

The 8th installment in J.R. Ellis' series about DCI Oldroyd & co in Yorkshire. I enjoy these books for a combination of reasons: The Yorkshire setting, likeable main characters, and focus on classic mystery solving rather than on too much detail of violence and forensics etc. 

In The Railway Murders each chapter starts with a reference to classic films/books about other murder mysteries involving trains. In this book, the setting is a museum railway, and the murder takes place in connection with a film shoot. It's a classic "locked room" mystery, as a film star has been shot dead in a train carriage, with the cameras rolling outside. But the victim was alone in the carriage, and nobody else was seen going in or out... So the mystery is as much about figuring out how it was done, as by whom.

For me, it was easy to imagine the setting of this book... My father was a railway and steam engine enthusiast, and on two family holidays by car in England and Wales back in the early 1970s, we visited several museum railways like this, also including train rides. 

What I also appreciate about this series is that besides the Kindle books being fairly cheap, one can also add the audio book at a real bargain price when buying it together with the Kindle book. I don't really know who Michael Page is, but I find listening to him reading these stories a joy in itself. So I mostly listened to this book, even if I also bought the Kindle.

5 comments:

  1. A new DCI Oldroyd!! Thank you for pointing me towards this series originally, Monica, and for posting about the latest installment. I am going to download it NOW, but it will be a little while before I'll get round to reading it.
    By the way, I don't know who Michael Page is, either. Somehow the name rings a bell, but a quick research only produced a recruitment agency and some other stuff that seems to have nothing to do with the Michael Page narrating this audio book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Ginny, I've written reviews of most of the previous books in the series, too, I think.

      Delete
  3. I read hundreds of books every year…most from Netgalley. I gave that book an excellent review…my Netgalley books are online…my daughter also sends me real books…plus library…this one is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenda. Have to admit I never heard of Netgalley. My reading is a mix of old and new, Kindle, audio and printed, English and Swedish. I write reviews when I feel like it, primarily on my own blog and mostly for my own sake - although I occasionally also share some at Amazon or Goodreads. On the whole, I'm not very systematic about it!

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...