Tuesday 1 November 2022

Rotten to the Core (Book Review)

Rotten to the Core (A Lady Hardcastle Mystery Book 8) by [T E Kinsey] 

Rotten to the Core
by T.E. Kinsey (2022)
A Lady Hardcastle Mystery, Book 8

(Read on Kindle + Audible)

This book is part of an English "cozy mystery" series that I happened to pick up from the beginning (a few years ago) and have continued to follow. It's set in the pre-WWI years in an English village, and starring amateur detectives Lady (Emily) Hardcastle (a widow) and her lady's maid, Florence Armstrong (narrator of the stories). In the first book they returned from India, seeking a quieter life in a small English village. Of course village life turned out less quiet than they had imagined . By now they have gained quite a reputation for helping the local police solve all kinds of mysteries (usually including murder) - and readers  following the series have kept learning a bit more about their background with every book. 

 In this book, it's apple harvest and cider-making time in the village, and a member of an ancient society to do with the cider production is found murdered in an apple orchard. 

The author, T E Kinsey, grew up in London and read history at the University of Bristol. I enjoy the books because of the historical setting, likeable characters, witty repartee between them - and the author also obviously having fun writing them...

A few examples of dialogue between Lady Hardcastle and her maid:

‘So much for the sheds,’ said Lady Hardcastle. ‘If I sat in the wheelbarrow would you wheel me to the cider mill? It’s too hot to walk.’ ‘Not on your life.’ ‘I don’t know what’s become of modern servants,’ she grumbled. ‘I’m sure my parents’ servants would have carried them on their backs and been grateful for the work.’ ‘Times have changed,’ I said. ‘Herr Marx pointed out that I’m an oppressed mass, I am. I shall be rising up any day now, and casting off the yoke of the capitalist bourgeoisie.’ ‘And about time, too. But would you still carry me? It’s too hot.’ ‘No,’ I repeated. ‘Best foot forward, come on. The walk will cool you.’ ‘Now, I know that’s nonsense.’ ‘It’ll get you in the shade, at least. If you’re a good girl I’ll buy you an ice cream from that tearoom at Chipping Bevington.’

- - -

‘It’s always like that,’ I said. ‘We suspect a string of wrong people, some of whom end up being murdered themselves, until it finally dawns on us who the real killer is. That’s exactly how it works every time.’

- - -

‘Oh, there’s no need to rush,’ said Lady Hardcastle. ‘We shall say we went to look at the church. People never dare doubt one if one says one has been looking at the church.’



5 comments:

  1. I probably say pretty much the same every time you post a review of a book from this delightful series; they sound very much my cup of tea and I am likely to start on them one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do suspect you'd enjoy them, Meike - even if set in Gloucestershire rather than Yorkshire! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read and enjoyed previous books in the series, but haven't some across this one yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CG, it was published back in June this year - and another one is coming at the end of November!

      Delete
  4. Well the title is surely interesting haha

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...