Sunday 18 December 2022

Winter Fog (1)

The day after I was out taking photos of "white open spaces" in the sun (previous post), we had a different variety of winter weather: It was still cold (around -10°C in the morning), but at the same time foggy. A rather unusual combination - which made me take the camera for another walk around the neighbourhood. 


It was very still, with everything covered in a layer of frost on top of the snow, and the fog made the distant background blurry...


My primary "goal" for the walk was the main post office down by the railway, to post my last few Christmas cards. Passing some streets with old houses on the way.


Someone had been cutting down or trimming a tree, but had not had time to clear away the branches before the snow came.




At this house, they always have a "Christmas Goat" made of spruce twigs beneath this tree.




My goal: The special red letter box, only for Christmas cards within Sweden. 

Our usual letter boxes are yellow. I also intended to take a photo from further away of the whole row of them (this red one standing next to three yellow ones) - but there was a never-ending queue of cars waiting to stop next to them (and blocking the view)... Never mind!

Frosty spider web on a fence

I noticed a nice new iron fence in front of one house




Getting back to the old cemetery, I decided to extend my walk by a turn down to the riverside as well. I think I'll save the rest of the photos for another post, though!

6 comments:

  1. Such different weather to the previous photos. It looks like one of those hurry up and do what you have to sort of days, so that you can rush back to the warmth of home!
    We have a lot of ironwork on older houses here and it really is a difficult job to prepare and paint them, as they should be done every other year to keep them looking good. I don't envy the owners of that fence, attractive though it looks with all the intricate ironwork, when it comes to keeping it looking immaculate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CG, it was actually a more pleasant day for walking than one might think. It was perfectly still and mysteriously beautiful - and I was dressed warm enough! :) Today on the other hand, it's thawing (+3°C), all the snow and frost gone from the trees, and the streets a slushy mess... I'm staying in!

      Delete
  2. Monica, that icy fog turns your town into an enchanted winter wonderland, and it‘s been exactly the same here yesterday and today. Very cold at -10C or even colder during the night, and the fog cobering every smallest twig with white glitter, and spider webs looking like artificial ones, the kind some people buy for Halloween decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love the Chrstmas goat. And the two right below it are gorgeous. I have never seen a frost covered spider web! My two favorites are the web and the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ginny, there was "magic in the air" ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...