Monday 12 December 2022

An Act of Foul Play - Book Review

 

An Act of Foul Play (A Lady Hardcastle Mystery Book 9) by [T E Kinsey] 

An Act of Foul Play
A Lady Hardcastle Mystery # 9

by T.E. Kinsey (2022)

Not long after I had read (and reviewed) #8 in this series, #9 was also released, and I have now read that one, too - or rather, listened to it as audio book.

It's November 1911, and Lady Emily Hardcastle is celebrating her birthday by seeing a play at a theatre in Bristol - as always, in the company of her maid and friend, Flo. The evening does not go quite to plan, though, as a murder takes place on stage during the interval...

It's a "locked room" kind of mystery, offering lots of twists and turns before it gets sorted out. In this book we're also introduced to Flo's twin sister Gwen. As usual, the charm of these books lies a lot in the banter between Lady H and Flo (and their friends) - and now also Gwen.

The audio book excellently performed by Elizabeth Knowelden (English actress), as usual.


6 comments:

  1. Here I am again, only about six weeks since my last comment to #8 of this series, and I could repeat it word for word :-)
    Locked room mysteries are usually what the Oldroyd books are about, too. I have the latest one on my kindle but am saving it, looking forward to reading it possibly soon after Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, I think I was a bit hasty when I wrote this review, so just made a small adjustment to it, removing my comment that the mysteries in this series are "usually" of the locked room kind. (Even if this one was, I'm not sure about all the previous ones). I agree with you about the Oldroyd ones (by J.R. Ellis), though!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Sandra, it's a good way to escape to a different environment, for sure! ;)

      Delete
  3. This keeps cropping up amongst Amazon's suggestions for my next read. I've already read all the others in the series. Haven't read your review as I'm waiting for it to drop down to 99 pence before I buy it - Scrooge that I am!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They often drop the price of the last one in a series when a new release is coming up soon, I think... So not a bad strategy to wait if one is not too impatient!! ;) The cheap offers vary a bit between countries, though, I've noticed. (I get my ebooks from Amazon international (.com) and do not get offers only valid in the UK.)

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...