Wednesday 22 May 2024

Lilac Time

The three photos above are from some lilac bushes I can see from my windows.

For me, lilacs in bloom are forever associated with the end of the school year and the start of the summer holidays - a week or two into the month of June. This year, summer decided to arrive early, though. It's making me feel very confused about Time... My calendar says May, but my impressions from nature and the very warm and summery weather we've been having this past week or two says June! 


 I'm fascinated by this tree in the cemetery because it has lilacs of two different shades growing on the same tree. I'm thinking that grafting must have been involved.




Lots and lots of lilacs growing on a slope by the railway, also not far from where I live.


So much happening in Nature at the moment that I'm having a hard time catching up. And it's too hot in my study to sit at the computer for very long at a time!

7 comments:

  1. I bet they smell divine though. I wondered what those flowers were called.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy there is a lot of flowery scent in the air this time of year :)

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, Monica, those lilacs are fantastic - I imagine the scent wafting around in the sun, early morning or evening.
    Maybe there was no grafting involved in the lilac bush growing two colours. My elderly neighbour (who has moved to a senior residence last autumn and now her beautiful house and garden stand empty) has a lilac tree that grows not two, but THREE colours - and she swears she has never done anything to it (I believe her!).
    Here in my part of the world, lilacs are usually out in May, right on time for Mothers Day (first Sunday in May). This year, they were all out in April and were almost gone by Mothers Day. Right now, elderflowers are in full bloom, as are the privet hedges around people's gardens here, giving off their lovely scent, one of my favourites and in my mind, forever associated with early summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting about your neighbour's lilac tree, Meike. I'll have to try and do some more research!

      Delete
  3. The lilacs are beautiful, how lovely to be able to see them from your window.
    I'm not sure if we have them here, I suspect they are happier in a cooler climate. A visit to one of my local garden centres is long overdue, so I'll see if they have them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ginny, air conditioning is rare in private homes in Sweden and certainly not pre-installed in ordinary apartments. I have an air purifier in my bedrom that I bought last year and am pleased with; and ordinary table fans in each of the other rooms. Still best to just avoid using my study on a sunny summer afternoon though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol there are quite a few different trees and bushes around the housing estate where I live. So even if/when one does not feel up for longer walks there is a bit of variety quite close by.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...