Wednesday 29 May 2024

Walk With Me (1)

Today was an "in-between" day with somewhat cooler temperature; and so far no rain. More thunder and rising temperatures expected again for the weekend, tough. 

I grabbed the opportunity to walk into town before lunch without getting wet. (I did bring an umbrella, but did not have to use it.)

From some comment on a previous post, it occurred to me that while I keep posting photos from the same places, I'm not sure if I've ever taken a series of photos all along the way that I usually walk into town. So I decided to try that today.


From where I live, I have only a few minutes walk to the old cemetery. The photo above is from where we've just entered the cemetery, and turned right (walking east). At the end of that path we turn left (north)...

Walking on until the far end of
this path, then turning right again...

 ... down a slope... 

... towards a street and a bridge that we have to
cross to get to the other side of the river...



From the bridge, looking north towards town.


Then following a footpath along the east side of the river.



A bit further on, a footbridge under the motorway.

 

Walking on along the
river... 


Crossing another street, we have reached the southern end of of the City Park.  One can choose to walk on on either side of the river here. Today I chose the left (west) side, through the park.
The building is a public swimming hall.




We have reached the city centre. (I crossed this bridge to get to the part of town where I had a couple of errands.)

The walk from home to here takes me 20-25 minutes.
Maybe 30 with all the stops for photos... ;-)

Walking back home, I chose a different way.

- To Be Continued -

 

16 comments:

  1. I love it! Now I get to see more of the city and exactly where you walk. That is quite a walk and has left me mentally breathless!! But at least now I don't need to exercise today. The last photo is gorgeous and I love the covered walkway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful to follow a continuous walk with you! It certainly is a pretty way to go to town. And not too strenuous. (I'm thinking of huge hills that I can't manage in my area.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Barbara. Before I moved to where I live now (16 years ago), I lived on top of a hill... Always uphill on my way home, whereever I'd been! (And my place of work was up another hill...)

      Delete
  3. What a lovely walk. You do live in a very pretty place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, I do love this walk into town. The whole part along the river has not been available all that long. The last bit they added (a few years ago) was the footbridge under the motorway which made it possible to walk away from traffic the whole way (except for crossing a couple of streets).

      Delete
  4. I love our walk and wish it could be for real. I have find that walking with someone I don't even pay attention to how long the walk is or how much time.. it really is a lovely path to walk on.. can't wait to see the 2nd part

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, for my own part I have to confess that I usually prefer not to combine walking and talking... Partly for physical reasons (asthma), but walking has also kind of become "meditation" time for me - just letting my thoughts wander as they please as well...

      Delete
  5. It looks a delightful walk. Very good if it allows you to do errands as well as enjoy the attractive scenery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, the whole of the path along the river has not been available for very long (a few years by now, though) but has really made a difference, providing a much more pleasant walk the whole way into town from where I live.

      Delete
  6. The cemetery looks well-kept and your walk into the town centre looks peaceful and flat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, the cemetery is indeed very well kept and has become my "oasis" for traffic-free daily walks close to home over the years (16) that I've lived where I live now.

      Delete
  7. What a lovely walk, Monica. It's traffic free and there's so much beautiful greenery. Looking forward to part 2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. Yes, it's traffic free (apart from crossing three streets) - and in hot summer weather also provides quite a lot of refreshing tree shadows along the way...

      Delete
  8. This is a nice walk, thank you for taking us along - much better than trying to look up a place on Google Street View (I still do that sometimes when I want to "walk around" Ripon or some other place I know).
    Your town is well kept and so clean, I can't see any rubbish anywhere. My town used to be like that, but it's become rather bad, especially since the pandemic. Even my cousin, who came visiting for the first time in a long time for my Dad's funeral in 2022, noticed the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, as this is a mostly traffic free path, I don't think you'd even be able to find it on Google Street View! - It is also pretty much free from rubbish because the cemetery is well cared for by staff, the next part adjoins a condominium (also well cared for), and then there's the town park, which is also well looked after. I'm afraid not all parts of our town are as free of rubbish as the centre, though - even if I might make it seem so, partly by choosing where I walk, and partly by focusing my camera on other things... ;-)

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...