Thursday 30 May 2024

Walk With Me (2)

 (Continued from yesterday)

Being done with my errands in town, I chose a different way back home.


Crossing the river via this bridge back to the town park.
The black round building is a restaurant/café. To walk home the same way that I came, I would have walked to the left of that; but now we turn right (west) instead.


A bit further on, I found to my surprise that this bridge had been opened again, after a major renovation that has been going on for a long time... (since last summer, I think) It has a new look now, and new/more benches to sit on and look out over the river. It is part of a long-term project to create a "long park"  all the way through town from north to south, basically following the river.

 


The white building is a hotel. The mural on it, one of my favourites, is going to be replaced with a new one during this summers art festival. (The old one is getting a bit faded, so I can understand why. Just hoping the new one will be a "good one" as well!) 

 

 On the other side of the path, still some work going on... Not sure what they're up to there!

Looking back towards the town centre.
 

Another impressive hedge of old, purple rhododenron.

 




And a pink one by the river opposite the hotel.
 

And walking uphill from the park to the south-west exit, even more rhododendron. 
 

After leaving the park, and crossing a street, we continue uphill, and turn left (east) into an older cemetery. (This is a bit of a detour, which I don't always take - but it is a nicer walk than just continuing along a major road.)


The main path is leading east, towards a small funeral chapel; but we'll turn right down one of those other paths, down a little slope, and then left again to get to a gate in the south-east corner.
 


South of this cemetery, a new building is growing rather fast now. It's going to be a Lidl supermarket. From what I've read, they'll be opening some time in the autumn.
 

We have left the cemetery, and are just casting a glance back north, up a little road past the cemetery chapel. (I walk that way more often than I take the detour over that cemetery.)
 

 But now I'm headed home, so have to continue in the other direction. You can see the Lidl building again in the background to the right; but we'll be turning left, past that mural instead.


This I think is one of our older murals, I think from 2013 or 14. The artist behind is Shai Dahan, an American street artist living in Sweden, who was very much involved in starting our tradition of street art biennials. (This one is getting rather faded as well, but I have not yet seen any mentioning of this one getting replaced yet.)


Walking in direction south, following a street passing under the motorway. 


To the left there's a big old industrial property with several buildings (nowadays housing more offices than production facilities, I think).


On the other side of the street, I like the style of the old white building. Behind the yellow one in the background, we come to a crossroads - and across the road from there, an entrance to the bigger cemetery from yesterday's post.


 

Walking straight on through the cemetery in direction south.


 
... until we reach this flowerbed, and turn right.

 
At the end of that path we find this staircase/exit:

... from where we cross the street, and then a footbridge over the railway...


... and then I'm very nearly back home.
 
Thanks for walking with me! :-)
 

8 comments:

  1. Everything looks so safe, clean, orderly, and lovely!!! I love the large rhododendrons. We had a Lidl here. I liked it, but it only lasted about two years before it closed down. I think Aldi put it out of business when they came. Your entire area is just so lovely, I can't get over it. No graffiti, trash, or slums, or homeless people sleeping on benches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, my camera is usually drawn more to greenery than to graffiti and trash... The park and cemeteries are also kept rather clean from both as there are staff at work there most days of the week. As for homeless people sleeping on benches, they'd be rare sight in the middle of the day... What happens in the night I can't say, as I'm never out then!The town is not completely free from homeless people and beggars, though. I still see beggars outside grocery shops periodically (mostly coming here from poorer countries in southern Europe) but less of them since the pandemic. Most people including myself don't carry much cash now (or at all) as one nearly always pays by card.

      Delete
  2. The way back seems a little longer than the way in, or is that just my impression? Anyway, your town is doing so well in creating that public space along the river. I bet it wasn't always like that, when most of the industrial estates were still producing - products as well as fumes and waste water.
    The hotel by the river is probably quite popular, it looks like an ideal location - central and yet a little quieter than if it were on a major road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, as I said in the post, choosing to walk via the second cemetery on my way back was a detour. "Normally" I'd have left the park in the middle (where they're digging just now) and then walked along the outside of the east wall of that cemetery (the road past the little yellow chapel in one of the photos). Then it's about the same distance as walking along the river. (But then I would also have "missed" the rhododendron etc in the west part of the park.) One of things I like about where I live now is that I can vary the ways I walk to/from town.

      Delete
  3. Another beautiful walk. I'm very impressed with the amount of greenery everywhere, and the attention to making the town a pleasant place to live for it's inhabitants and visitors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, there has been a lot of improvement since I first moved here to live in the mid 1980s, and not least when it comes to upgrading the areas close to the river and making those accessible to people. (Once upon a time it was all factories along the river, most of them to do with textile industry.)

      Delete
  4. another stunning way to walk to and from your flat. I loved this one as much as the first one.. maybe the artist could freshen up the horse. I love it... the one thing I saw that scared me silly is that spiral stairway on the tall building towards the end.. I assume it is a fire escape but not sure I could go down it even running from fire... its beautiful but scary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra I wouldn't like to have to use that fire escape stairway either - but I suppose it must still be slightly better than having to climb down a ladder!

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...