In a comment to my post Early Autumn Colours, Meike (Librarian) wondered whether Barbie and Skipper have also already changed into "autumn clothes"? The answer is yes! :)
Having sorted through my own wardrobes this week - taking some summer clothes down to the basement for winter storage, and bringing some winter items up instead - I did also find it a good time to dress the dolls for somewhat chillier days. So just now they're in the outfits above (and have been given a battery tealight to brighten up the darker evenings).
For readers who may not know/remember them from earlier posts, the story is that for five decades or more, all my old Barbie(&co) dolls were packed away in a box; first in my parent's attic, and then in my own storage. In 2023 I finally decided to donate them to a charity shop - but in the process of organising that, I arrived at the compromise to keep two (with a selection of clothes for each, most of them made by my mum in the 1960s).
And since then, these two have been on display on a shelf in my living room instead - and changing outfits now and then, according to season. I suspect I've probably shown their entire wardrobes by now - but I did choose items that can be combined in various ways. In the photo above, all clothes were sewn by my mum, except Barbie's pink top (which I actually made myself a year or two ago, from the cuff of a sock).

We all feel the cold sooner as we age, thy look warm, I made clothes for my Sindy doll, she was a UK doll, sadly Barbie took over.
ReplyDeleteMarlene, I only learned about the Sindy dolls in connection with one or two of my earlier Barbie posts - I don't think I ever came across them in my childhood/youth.
DeleteThey look very well prepared for the slightly chillier time, not yet the cold of winter, and for the nights drawing in with the light and their books. Thank you 😍
ReplyDeleteMeike, they say to tell you thanks for remembering them and asking after them! ;)
DeleteThis elder who was too old to have Barbies wants to know about the painting too! What is that little building on the island?
ReplyDeleteBarbara, I assume it's a boathouse. The original painting was made by an artist friend of mine living on the west coast. This is a print on a cork trivet.
DeleteI love them! They are looking better for fall than I am! And the addition of a tea light and the tiny books is so adorable. The sweater is gorgeous, I think your mom would love it. The photo behind them, what is it?
ReplyDeleteGinny, see my reply to Barbara above.
DeleteHow special that these little outfits, lovingly made by your mother decades ago, are still bringing Barbie and Skipper to life today.
ReplyDeleteRo, I guess I'm old enough now to allow myself a bit of a "second childhood"... ;)
Delete