Sunday 22 November 2015

Weekend Reflection: Let There Be Light

CIMG7136

It has become a tradition in my town, on the weekend before the 1st Advent weekend, to hold a special ceremony when the Christmas lights in the city are switched on for the season.

CIMG7140

On Saturday afternoon at 4 pm, around sunset, there is a gathering in the park, to watch some of the big trees there being lighted up; and from there a torchlight procession, led by the home guard music corps, through the park, across one of the bridges over the river, and on to the main square.

CIMG7153

Lots of people come to watch and join in, and this year I think more than ever. (Perhaps a kind of unofficial demonstration against recent events around the world… At least that’s how I felt myself, being there.)

The weather was just right for the occasion, too -  the first day of proper frost here, with temperatures below zero all day. But also very still, with a beautiful sunset, and then a hazy white moon.

CIMG7156-001

Hanging lights in the shopping streets in central town.

CIMG7162-001 

The big Christmas tree in the main square.

CIMG7174

The trees in the Town Park, after dark.

CIMG7180-001

Weekend Reflections

15 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful tradition. I think I have said it before, but I just love how festive your town looks like in the Christmas season.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mersad. All the lights do make a difference this time of year! :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful and I do think we need to come together to remember the love for fellow man that there is in the world, not just hate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very true, Janet. One thing I like about events like these is that they're open to anyone.

      Delete
  3. Each photo shows a beautiful scene and the last ones are very dramatic, the white glowing trees against the dark. The Prince of Peace is an inspiration for peace everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terra, the Christmas season is a rather odd mix of traditions (not only Christian but also pre-Christian and post-Christian) - but it does tend to include, and remind us of, a general spirit of generosity.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pictures, and I am glad you went there and shared the event with us, Monica!
    Opening night of our Christmas Market here tomorrow; my Mum and I are going to go, listen to the Mayor's speech and have our first Glühwein (my Mum - I don't like the stuff) and traditional snack (me).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, I think there was Glühwein served at some stall in the square too, but there was such a crowd that I did not bother to seek it out... I bought myself a hotdog instead to warm my hands on (because there was no long queue for that)!

      Delete
  5. these are all putting me in the Christmas Spirit.. love those trees after dark and the procession is moving looking at the pic, so can only imagine the feeling seeing it live

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra. I was glad I decided to go. The cold, still and clear weather contributed a lot to the "Christmas spirit". :)

      Delete
  6. The trees in the town park look so much more attractive than the standard model of Christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I seem to recall this from a previous year and I love it as much now as I'm sure I did then.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I have been to this event a few times before :)

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...