Friday 25 September 2020

No Limit 2020 (2)

In my previous post I took you along for a sneak peek from the first day of last weekend's mural festival. I went back again on Saturday - the 3rd day out of 4 - for another visit.

I'll start with showing the progress made on the four walls I also saw on the first day; and then move on to some others that I did not visit on the first occasion. Enjoy!

The wall at the school.
Left: Thursday / Right: Saturday.

Work still in progress, but now clear that it has a musical theme.

Left: Thursday, Right: Saturday
Some kind of fantasy animal

Top left: Thursday
Bottom left and right: Saturday

I have since read that several of the new murals share a theme in paying tribute to mothers and family life. There are a lot of families living in this district.

Left: Thursday / Right: Saturday

Another one with family theme.
(Sort of "my home is my castle", I think?)


Another fantasy creature

A more abstract one



"Calligrafitti"

From the local newspaper I learn that it's all supposed to be "nice words" in this mural, including the names of people who came bringing the artist coffee while he was working on it! I like how the journalist sums it up: "Here is an alphabet I can't read, in a district where many languages are spoken that I don't understand. I must choose to trust both that what has been written here, and what is being said, is kindhearted."


I have not yet been back to see the finished murals (including one or two more that I missed). They'll be there for a good while to enjoy now, though, so no particular hurry.

17 comments:

  1. I like to see them in progress like this, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terra, I enjoy taking photos of the artists at work, as each photo then catches a unique moment in the creation.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderfully creative initiative! So colorful. I love public art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorites are the first ones. At this point they remind me a bit of Salvatore Dali.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, The artist "playing with the instruments" on this wall is a local Swedish artist, Adam Algotsson/Appear37 (I read in the paper). My impression is that he is trying to depict how music tends to come alive and create movement. It's a very happy mural.

      Delete
  4. They are absolutely amazing every single one of them! My favorite is the one on the slanted wall with the lady and a pink flowers on her cheeks but I do love every single one of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I agree with you that they're all really good. And I think the 'magnolia lady' was a favourite with many - at least there were quite a few people standing around there when I happened to walk by. It was painted by the same duo of artists who also did the abstract one above (I'm learning from my brochure and newspaper cuttings). All the artists participating this year are from (living in) Sweden (whereas in the previous art festivals there have also been some artists from other countries).

      Delete
  5. Murals are not common where I live, and more's the pity. They do serve to brighten up otherwise dull, monocoloured urban landscapes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, I can only agree, and I hope they will be enjoyed by both residents and visitors.

      Delete
  6. That is a fascinating and interesting trip around the new wall art exhibits. I think that it is one of the best trends to have hit our town for many a long year. I hope it continues. I had hoped to do the Glasgow walk this year but 'twas not to be with our lockdown. Perhaps next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, I think it was appreciated by many that this was one artistic project that could be carried out here in spite of the pandemic. I think you have to book tickets in advance for guided tours now, but as it's all outdoors you're also free to just walk around on your own (as I did), at any time. - I do hope you get to make a street art tour of Glasgow next year! :)

      Delete
  7. Love the idea of the nice words, including the names of people who have brought the artist coffee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, I love that idea as well! (and it makes me curious whether it's actually all readable - to someone - or just bits and pieces of it?)

      Delete
  8. they are looking good, I think my favourite is the fantasy creature.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for allowing us to see these art works in progress. I'm captivated by "Calligrafitti", I love the colours and flow of words. They are all so different and creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline, I like the Calligrafitti a lot too - I find it very intriguing.

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...