Monday 20 September 2021

Flax Processing

Walking into town on Saturday, I passed by an arts and crafts shop, where they were having a kind of exhibition outside, demonstrating the process of turning flax into textile fibres. 

 





I'm afraid I did not stick around long enough to pick up all the details, but here is a short YouTube video from the open-air museum Skansen in Stockholm, showing the process, and including the correct terminology.


 

I hope the link works; if not, you'll find it here:
https://youtu.be/2_ToT0dxX-g 

 

Linking to:

Through My Lens

5 comments:

  1. This is so cool! Were they selling anything, or did they profit in any way from the demonstrations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sell all kinds of handmade arts and crafts items in the shop. I think this event was primarily cultural/educational, though.

      Delete
  2. Wow. It's amazing isn't it? Imagine how creative the first person to think of doing this was?! #ThruMyLens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly made me think of how much work went into the process of producing textiles and clothes before the industrial revolution. (And in our times of climate changes etc we probably really need to be reminded of that, and seriously reconsider some of our consumerism habits.)

      Delete
  3. Love the basket picture at the end, who would think fabric could come from these stalks.. I am just happy I can buy what I wear or sleep on and do not have to make it from scratch

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...