Thursday 26 May 2022

Azaleas for Ascension Day

Today is Ascension Day (nearly over when I write this) - the 40th day of Easter, still a public holiday here (marked with red in our calendars) and always on a Thursday. It hasn't quite felt like a holiday here today though, because while I had been looking forward to an extra "quiet" day - without Men at Work on the roof and running up and down the ladder outside my study - they had obviously decided to ignore this holiday and carry on with the job as usual. That surprised me a bit - even if I know that some places of work, like supermarkets, never close on red days any more.

Well, never mind. (They weren't all that noisy - it just made me look twice at the calendar!) For my own part I didn't really have anything special planned. It's been a rainy week and after two days of hardly having set foot outdoors, I managed a walk during an afternoon break in the rain, though. Just my usual walk around the old cemetery - but that did turn out to offer some "extraordinary" beauty, as the azaleas, rhododendron and lilacs have just come into bloom:




8 comments:

  1. Wonderful variety of colors in these blossoms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, they are such a welcome sight after a long winter! :)

      Delete
  2. What wonderful blooms - they look positively exotic, and even more so on a grey day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CG, I'm grateful to have this place within very short walking distance from home.

      Delete
  3. Here, public holidays still mean pretty much everything is closed, and work at construction sites stops. The exceptions usually are roadworks or other ‚big‘ stuff paid for by the government.
    Those azaleas and rhododendron are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, today I haven't heard or seen anyone at work on our roof and I was thinking that perhaps they swapped Thursday and Friday to get a long weekend. But then I went out for a walk and found some guys at work putting up scaffolding on another building nearby. For my own part, I got a quiet Friday, though (and another trouble-free delivery of groceries).

      Delete
  4. its a good thing you decided to take the walk, the flowers are wonderful and better than lurking workman outside your balcony. USA runs wide open on every holiday. the banks and offices close on red days but everything else keeps going. retail stores never close except Christmas day..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I was glad to get out for a while but not having to walk very far to find spring beauty :)

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...