Tuesday 2 January 2024

The Man in the Queue (Book Review)

    

My first finished (audio) book in 2024 is The Man in the Queue - a classic detective story by Josephine Tey (1896-1952) (pseudonym for Elizabeth MacKintosh). I happened to find a collection on Audible of eight mystery novels all in one volume (and in a 2-for-1 sale at that). I recognised the name of the author and at least two of the titles, which I know I read some time in a distant past (way back in my youth, I think). Checking Amazon just now I also found all of them in one Kindle volume for just around one dollar... Which makes the whole package an even better deal for me, as what I really prefer is to be able to shift between listening and reading (or going back to check details) as I please. (And of course also a bargain for anyone who is not into audio books at all but prefers just reading on Kindle.)

The Man in the Queue was first published in 1929, and is the first in a series of six detective novels involving detective inspector Alan Grant of Scotland Yard. In this book he investigates the murder of a man who was stabbed in the ticket line in front of a theatre. No one saw anything, and none of those standing near the victim in the queue appear to have any motive. A lead takes Inspector Grant all the way up to the west coast of Scotland - but is it really the right person he's following...? 

To me, this is the kind of classic British detective novel that I like best - focusing on the mystery and the detective's thought process concerning the case and the people he comes across during the investigation (rather than on too many gruesome details and wild chases etc, even if there is a bit of that kind of drama as well). I also somehow find Josephine Tey's writing very "visual", and end up with an impression of having watched it rather than just read/ listened to it.

I'll refrain from saying more about the plot as that might lead to spoilers. 

6 comments:

  1. Many years ago, I read "The Man in the Queue" and liked it very much, too. At that time, wasn't blogging yet, but I remember how one morning I missed my stop on the train to work because I was so enthralled! I had to laugh at myself, got off at the next stop and took the next train back, arriving at work maybe 20 minutes later than usual.
    It seems I have not read any of the other Alan Grant mysteries, but will have a look next time I browse the Kindle shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, I actually found two Josephine Tey collections for Kindle, one with the same 8 books as the audio collection, one with those + 4 more. Just a heads up not to be too hasty if you're checking them out... (I ended up unnecessarily buying both, but never mind as they were both just ~$1.)

      Delete
  2. you found not one DEAL but Two! way to go..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra it's hard to resist a feeebee or a really good deal even if I know I probably already have more Kindle books than I'll manage to read during the rest of my life...

      Delete
  3. Another author I haven't heard about, but will look out for on Amazon UK. I enjoy detective stories and it would be interesting to read one set in the 1920's - nearly a hundred years ago now! Having read many Agatha Christie novels set in a similar era, it would be an interesting comparison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, obviously there are similarities, as both authors are British and from the same era. However, one difference that comes to mind is that Tey's inspector Grant is working directly for Scotland Yard, whereas Christie's Poirot is a private detective (and Belgian!) - and Miss Marple (however sharp), an 'amateur'.

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...