Monday 1 January 2024

Off With A Bang into 2024

 

Where I live, every New Year starts off with a Bang, whether we wish for it or not... Trying to have an "early night" on New Year's Eve is doomed to fail! Snapshots taken around midnight from my living room windows (without opening the balcony door).


If anyone is wondering what film I ended up watching while waiting for the Big Bang, this year I settled for a typical and predictable 2 hr Christmas movie (on Netflix):  A Castle for Christmas. In short: Bestselling female American author, struggling to come up with ideas for her next book, flees to Scotland to look for her family roots, makes friends with a number of quaint Scottish villagers, and meets grumpy duke struggling with the costs for maintaining his old castle... And after various minor complications - Happy End... :-)

 

Not a film I'd recommend for its great plot - but okay as distraction for a couple of hours while just waiting to be able to go to bed... ;-)

As for the weather, we had a bit of snow falling during the night, still covering the ground today. No snow plough has been round yet (1 pm on New Year's Day), so I'll probably just be staying in. (Wasn't out any further than to the dustbin yesterday either.)

12 comments:

  1. I watched this movie and loved it and am giggling at your comment about plot. Hallmark has never made a movie that doesn't follow the same plot. yet I still watch them. I loved this one because it was Scotland, which is part of my ancestry and because i know two people who live there. blog friends, like you are. predictable but at least no violence or guns involved. we have managed to watch 3 movies in 4 days that are happy and no violence, hate or war. bring them on in this new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I too watched this one because it was set in Scotland - and because it involved a castle... :)

      Delete
  2. Sometimes a bit of predictable entertainment is all we need! And Brooke Shields is still gorgeous.
    My Mum has taken to watching Christmas movies this season and keeps telling me their plots, which all sound VERY similar. I have been watching The Crown, the final season of which started late November, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, I too have been watching the final season of The Crown around Christmas. (And just before that, rewatched the previous season to freshen up my memory.)

      Delete
  3. Oh my, lots of bangs shaking the windows! Glad you had a joyful movie to watch. I haven't watched a Halmark movie in ages, but there was one made about a local estate, so I watched Christmas at the Biltmore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, at least this year no big ones seemed to be fired off right outside my building (but mostly from a little park a bit further away).

      Delete
  4. I saw that movie last year, it was ok, I haven't seen any decent movies on netflix this year, we have been watching old ones like Elf and Die Hard, but I have been watching the crown since the beginning, certainly an eye opening series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, The Crown is one of my favourites as well, especially the earlier seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This year fireworks started early here, with some of the houses down in the valley letting off bangers and rockets well before midnight. I suspect they had young children. There used to be an excellent official display at midnight every New Year, let off in the old town, and I would walk to our nearby rubbish bin, with one of our dogs, to watch them. It was the best place for a perfect view of the whole display.
    These days I go to bed long before they start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I've found it no use trying to go to bed before an hour or more into the new year. Too much noise!

      Delete
  7. We used to have a wonderful display here in Stornoway years ago but they stopped many years ago and I didn't hear or see any sign of them anywhere. Indeed The Bells. seemed very tame here from what I'm told.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, I wish there were stricter rules about private fireworks here. I'm always scared that some will go off in the wrong direction etc.

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...