Tuesday 20 August 2024

Hyssna Old Church

 

 


 


Every now and then on our car trips, we stop for a while at some old church - sometimes just because they tend to have free parking convenient for a stop when one wants to check the map... But it's often also a good place to get out and stretch one's legs a bit. 

Alas, none of the churches we happened to find on our outings this year were open to look into. So I just took photos from outside, and looked up some info afterwards.  

The oldest parts of the old church at Hyssna date back to the 12th century. It's appearance now goes back to renovations made in 1728. In 1907 a new church was built in another spot. This old one was abandoned and started to decay; but in 1922-23 it was restored to how it was before it was abandoned in 1910. Nowadays it's used mostly for special occasions like weddings and christenings. (Source: Swedish Wikipedia article.)

12 comments:

  1. I hope this doesn't hurt any feelings, but this church is just so Cute. I love it, and the blue door gate tiny building is even cuter. all the photos are beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I'm sure you're not alone in finding this church 'cute' - no doubt that's why it's popular for weddings and christenings etc.

      Delete
  2. The doorway that leads to nothing is pretty interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, in the past there was probably a stone wall surrounding the whole churchyard. Similar covered gateways are not unusual at old churches here. Via Wikipedia I learn that the English word for them is lychgate, and they served to "differentiate consecrated and unconsecrated space".

      Delete
  3. I loved the blue churchyard gate. So cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, I liked that, too. Now I'm wondering if it was always blue... (More likely to originally have been just natural wood, I suspect.)

      Delete
  4. In your photos that lovely church appears to be situated in an isolated location but images can be deceptive and may not tell the full story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, quite a few old countryside churches here (including this one) are indeed situated in rather isolated locations rather than at the centre of a village. I think one reason is probably that they often served several surrounding small villages.

      Delete
  5. Like some others here, I love the blue gate in the white wall. There must have been a "proper" wall there at some stage - people usually did not build such gate "houses" just for fun, I suppose.
    It's a little disappointing that none of the churches you visited were open, but you still had a good look around and, as you say, were able to stretch your legs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, I agree about the (missing) wall. See my reply to Ginny.

      Delete
  6. Yes, the blue door gateway is charming. I like the second photo too, which looks just like the entrance to a normal house. The building was a lovely "find".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carol, the striped blue door on the church itself was a side door rather than the main entrance. But I don't think I've ever seen a striped door before on any church!

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...