Friday, 7 August 2026

A Rose is a Rose is a Rose


♫... I beg your pardon
I never promised you a rose garden
Along with the sunshine
There's gotta be a little rain sometime... ♫
Lynn Anderson (1970)

Photos from the Rose Garden in the park in our city centre today; taken on my way back from having been to pick up my new glasses. The grey skies in the background brought Lynn Anderson's song to mind for me. The weather has been "back and forth" again a lot this week. Rain one day, 25C the next, and then again so stormy that one hesitates to go out just because of all the debris flying around. However, today the wind had once more subsided, the temperature was quite pleasant for walking - around 18C (64F) - and the rain actually kept away until I was safely back home again.

If you followed my July adventures, you may remember that I went to see my optician about a month ago; and after her examination decided to buy a pair new glasses, even if the results from the eye test only showed "minor" changes. (But it might have some impact on my ability to read small print.) You may also recall that I took a couple of frames home with me to ponder about over the weekend after the examination; but then ended up deciding on a third one in the shop instead, when I got back there. (Decicions, decisions...

What did not really strike me until today when I tried on the new ones again in the shop, now with glass fitted... was how very little the new frame that I finally decided on really differs from my old one! I almost had to laugh. The new ones are a bit more rounded in shape but that's about it...

 Old glasses: top/left, new ones: bottom/right.
I'm calling this collage: "Me and My Twin"...

There's a little bit more of a slight tinge towards green in the new frame compared to the old one (which is more just dark blue). But it's not really obvious...

Ah well. I guess I shall just have to claim that I've "found my style" and am sticking with it!

What I'm primarily hoping for is that the new glasses might make it a little bit easier to read small print on paper again. The main problem is macular degeneration in the left eye, though - diagnosed ~3 years ago. And that can neither be cured nor compensated with glasses. (But at least it does not really seem to have got any worse; which is good.) 

I did not bother to also get new separate glasses for computer work, though - my old "computer glasses" still work well enough.

---

The sentence "Rose is a rose is a rose is a rose" was written by Gertrude Stein as part of the 1913 poem "Sacred Emily", which appeared in the 1922 book Geography and Plays. In that poem, the first "Rose" is the name of a person. Stein later used variations on the sentence in other writings, and the shortened form "A rose is a rose is a rose" is among her most famous quotations, often interpreted as meaning "things are what they are", a statement of the law of identity, "A is A." (Wikipedia

 

11 comments:

  1. That's so funny that you again chose such a similar style. I have my last pair of glasses still, which supposedly just had a small change for the newer ones a year ago...and sometimes I prefer the older pair. Mine look quite different from one another. For reading fine print if I can't enlarge the screen, I take a photo of it, and then can enlarge the photo on my phone...assuming it wasn't so blurred as to not be legible either way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, I have done that sometimes with for example instructions for something or other... but one can't keep doing it with a whole book! (I have re-bought several books as Kindle or audio books in later years, but sometimes it's also nice to be able to find one's way in a old physical book with small print...).

      Delete
  2. You are right, Monica, you have found your style and it suits you very well. It is so nice to have new glasses, though, even if they're not markedly different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice. I don't regret the purchase, I was just amused that I didn't quite realise how little they differed from my old ones until I got the new ones back with the lenses fitted...

      Delete
  3. Well, they do suit you - even if they are not much different!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the new ones better. I think the rounded shape is much prettier They also have a thinner nose bridge! I have Macular Degeneration in both eyes. I see a specialist twice a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny. It was the more rounded shape that I "fell for".

      Delete
  5. The big difference I can see is the nose grips, built-in on the old pair, adjustable on the new pair.
    I get told there are minor changes but when I pick up the new glasses the lens change is too much and I can't read properly!! I always end up taking them back for adjustments.
    I have macular degeneration in my right eye, but not very advanced yet and I am hoping it doesn't get worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, the old pair has adjustable nose grip as well, although that doesn't really show in the photo.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful roses, i bet they smell divine, i can't wait until mine start blooming, love your glasses, have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...