Friday, 21 August 2026

Goldenrod Again

 In a recent post or two I showed some photos of the plant (herb) Goldenrod (Solidago); which I thought were of our (Swedish) native kind virgaurea rather than the canadensis - which is considered invasive here. (The Canadian kind may still have been around for 2-300 years, though!)

Today I noticed a whole field of Goldenrod in a wild area behind a parking lot, where they definitely looked rather "invasive" - which made me think again. So I went up close to take some more photos; and back home compared those again to Wikipedia. Actually these do indeed seem to be of the Canadian kind. And if so, the ones I saw in the cemetery and probably the ones growing on the slopes down to the railway are probably of that kind as well... (In fact, I'm no longer sure if I ever actually saw the virgaurea in real life?!)

Which just goes to show that you can't really take for granted that everything you happen to read online is true. "Not even" on this blog! ;)



 
 


Goldenrod - Soldiago canadensis
Public domain picture from Wikipedia

Soldiago virgaurea
Public domain picture from Wikipedia

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you took the closeup photo! I ran it through AI, and it is indeed Canadian Goldenrod! Now how on earth did it get way over there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, it seems it was imported from North America as a garden plant back in the 1800s, but then escaped from the gardens and ran wild... 😉

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...