Waking up fairly cough-free this morning, I decided to try and get myself into town for a couple of errands that I didn't feel up for earlier in the week. I took the bus part of the way there, but then walked back.
With the election coming up tomorrow, there were quite a lot of people about in the main square, as all the political parties have information booths up (no doubt they've been there all week). There's also a portable cabin for early voting, and today there was a long queue of people waiting to make use of that.
Reports in the media say we've already broken previous records this year when it comes to the number of people preferring to vote early - and I made my contribution to that myself back on Monday. (I didn't have to go into town for that, as I could do it at a place closer to home.)
These flags across a shopping street in the city centre are part of the past summer's art biennial. I did not stop to try and figure out the symbolism - and just as well that I didn't, as I'd never have succeeded... Looking it up now on the Art Museum's Instagram page:
"Michelle Eistrup’s series of flags along Stora Brogatan draws on the heritage of Bakongo culture from Central Africa, which spread across the Americas due to the transatlantic slave trade. The flags form a “dictionary” of Bakongo gestures and evoke diasporic knowledge systems. They are organized into four sections, which represent the parallel cycles of the sun and of human life — sunrise and spiritual awakening, noon and maturity, sunset and decline, midnight and regeneration."
On my way home, I walked through a corner of the city park, and noted that there are autumn colours to be seen in some of the trees now.
One of my favourite sculptures - I don't recall its name now, but I think it's been there since one of our first art biennials. For me as "Narnian" (referring to my blog name) it always makes me think of ancient mythological portals between worlds...
Linking to Weekend Street/Reflection #294

.jpg)





Glad you're feeling a bit better! Love that "portal" sculpture. Thanks for the description of the gestures on the flags. I love autumn. Keep the colors coming. And I hope your election has results that lean toward people's good representation in government.
ReplyDeleteThanks Barbara. The outcome remains to be seen!
DeleteThe last two photos are my favorite. This tree is gorgeous! The first photo...what is the large thing on the left in the foreground? Looks like some kind of fountain maybe?
ReplyDeleteGinny, yes, it's a fountain. For some reason not "up and running" just then.
DeleteThere's been a terrible coughing flu going around here, as it does every Winter each year, it's nasty. We have our general elections next month and I can't wait until it's over then all the bickering will stop....but I doubt it.
ReplyDeleteAmy, the TV debates this week have been increasingly tiresome, with the same people discussing the same things over and over. I'm glad voted early because by now I'm almost equally fed up with all of them! ;)
DeleteI would take advantage of early voting if I could, but usually the weather is against me, so I wait for the proper day only to find the weather is usually against me again. I think next year I will apply for postal voting. I like today's photos.
ReplyDeleteRiver, here postal voting is only for citizens living/staying abroad now. But other places (including mobile buses) available for early voting from 2-3 weeks in avance.
DeleteI am glad to read that you're so much better that you went into town and walked back.
ReplyDeleteAs a fellow "Narnian", I can see what sculpture appeals to you.
Meike, it was a good day for it, and one advantage of Saturdays is that the bus is not likely to be crowded (while on school days it might be).
DeleteYour town is beautiful, it does look peaceful. We always vote by post, saves us having to wander to the polling station. Marlene x
ReplyDeleteMarlene, voting by post is not currently an option here. The place where I went to vote is not much farther away than the nearest mailbox, though! ;)
Delete