Sunday 4 February 2018

Postcards for the Weekend – Fairy Tales

180117 DE-6871053
Postcrossing card from Bremen, Germany
(January 2018)
The Town Musicians of Bremen;
a sculpture inspired by an old folktale.


180117 JP-1056926 (1)

Postcrossing card from Japan
(January 2018)

A Moomin illustration from Japan. I love the Moomin characters. Originally created by the Finnish author and artist Tove Jansson (1914-2001), the Moomins are also immensely popular in Japan (and I think the TV cartoons were made there). If you follow the link to the Moomin characters page, you’ll also find a test “Which character are you?” I got Snufkin (he’s the one to the left, clad in green). He’s a traveller, though – even if he always returns. I often feel a bit more like Moominmamma, I think (even if I live alone); she’s more of the stay-at-home kind, always carrying a handbag full of anything that might come in handy, and wanting to pack tons of just-in-case stuff whenever they’re off on longer adventures. At the same time there is an artistic and dreamy side to her character as well… (If you take the test, I hope you’ll share your result in the comments!)


180122 RU-6196847

Postcrossing card from Russia
(January 2018)

"Sadko" (Fedoscino lacquer miniature factory)

WIKIPEDIA: Fedoskino miniature (Russian: федоскинская миниатюра) is a traditional Russian lacquer miniature painting on papier-mache, named after its original center Fedoskino (Федоскино), an old village near Moscow widely known from the late 18th century. The contemporary Fedoskino painting preserves the typical features of Russian folk art.

WIKIPEDIA: Sadko (Russian: Садко) is the principal character in a Russian medieval epic Bylina. He was an adventurer, merchant, and gusli musician from Novgorod. Sadko played the gusli [old Russian multi-string plucked instrument] on the shores of a lake. The Sea Tsar enjoyed his music, and offered to help him. Sadko was instructed to make a bet with the local merchants about catching a certain fish in the lake; when he caught it (as provided by the Tsar), the merchants had to pay the wager, making Sadko a rich merchant. -


JJ 2018-102 180115

From Jarina in the NL
(January 2018)

The Snowdrop Fairy by Cicely Mary Barker
from Flower Fairies of the Spring (1923)


Postcards for the Weekend

Postcards for the Weekend 71 – Anything You Wish

9 comments:

  1. I enjoyed these interesting cards. And I appreciate the additional information/descriptions you provide. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, John. I enjoy checking the printed text on the back of the cards (if there is any) and look up names and such to learn a bit more :)

      Delete
  2. bbThe snowdrop dairy is so pretty! The test showed that I am most like Moominpappa... not what I would have expected :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might not have been my first guess for you either, Meike - but I do have the impression that he is less attached to "things" compared to Moominmamma. And he likes a bit of adventure (and remembering his past adventures) :)

      Delete
  3. I know the Moomin only thanks to postcards. When I started to be a postcrosser, there were a lot of Finnish people around. I've never read the books; I took the test just to let you know that I'm more Snufkin... whatever that means.

    I love the rest of the postcards too. The last illustration... I have it on a tea towel! (It was a present).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eva, Snufkin is a great friend but also likes to spend time on his own now and then. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness! I am Snorkmaiden!! What a name, I am so laughing. I love all these cards. Favorite would be the first one or the Russian. I wish I could find such lovely cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always loved the Musicians from Bremen folktale. I didn't know about Moomins until I joined postcrossing. Thank you so much for sharing these fairytale postcards and added information for each :D

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...